[comp.windows.ms] 16-colour 1024x768 driver for Trident 8900?

KTK-VK@finou.oulu.fi (Vesa Komulainen) (01/29/91)

I have just upgraded from a Trident 8800-based video card to a 1MB Trident
8900. The disks that came with the card only had a 256-colour driver for the
1024x768 resolution for Windows 3. While the driver does function properly,
I would very much like to have a 16-colour driver which, so I have been told,
should be available. I assume it might be faster than the 256-colour one. Can
anyone out there help me to get such a driver?

Vesa Komulainen (ktk-vk@finou.oulu.fi)

waynet@wiffle.techbook.com (Wayne Tilton) (02/03/91)

KTK-VK@finou.oulu.fi (Vesa Komulainen) writes:

> I have just upgraded from a Trident 8800-based video card to a 1MB Trident
> 8900. The disks that came with the card only had a 256-colour driver for the
> 1024x768 resolution for Windows 3. While the driver does function properly,
> I would very much like to have a 16-colour driver which, so I have been told,
> should be available. I assume it might be faster than the 256-colour one. Can
> anyone out there help me to get such a driver?
>
> Vesa Komulainen (ktk-vk@finou.oulu.fi)

Current versions of all drivers for the Trident 8900 boards are
available from the Trident BBS in Sunnyvale at 1-408-736-5483,
2400-8-n-1.  They have 16 and 256 color drivers for 640x480, 800x600,
and 1024x768 for Win3.  They also have a 'large font' 1024x768 driver
(uses the 8514 font) that makes 1024x768 usable.  Two things to be
aware of before you download the drivers:

1. The 800x600x256 driver only works with boards w/1MB of memory.

2. News on the BBS indicates they will have faster versions of the
   256 color drivers available in March.  Might be worth waiting if
   it's long distance.

(No connection with Trident other than being a satisified customer.)

Wayne

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (02/05/91)

In article <BiTRw1w163w@wiffle.techbook.com> waynet@wiffle.techbook.com (Wayne Tilton) writes:
>KTK-VK@finou.oulu.fi (Vesa Komulainen) writes:
>
>> I have just upgraded from a Trident 8800-based video card to a 1MB Trident
>> 8900. The disks that came with the card only had a 256-colour driver for the
>> 1024x768 resolution for Windows 3. While the driver does function properly,
>> I would very much like to have a 16-colour driver which, so I have been told,
>> should be available. I assume it might be faster than the 256-colour one. Can
>> anyone out there help me to get such a driver?
>>
>> Vesa Komulainen (ktk-vk@finou.oulu.fi)
>
>Current versions of all drivers for the Trident 8900 boards are
>available from the Trident BBS in Sunnyvale at 1-408-736-5483,
>2400-8-n-1.  They have 16 and 256 color drivers for 640x480, 800x600,
>and 1024x768 for Win3.  They also have a 'large font' 1024x768 driver
>(uses the 8514 font) that makes 1024x768 usable.  Two things to be
>aware of before you download the drivers:
>
>1. The 800x600x256 driver only works with boards w/1MB of memory.
>
>2. News on the BBS indicates they will have faster versions of the
>   256 color drivers available in March.  Might be worth waiting if
>   it's long distance.

Since no one raised legalistic-type objections, I put TVGA2b.ZIP on
cica.  This is the set of drivers I pulled off their BBS.

Impressions:
They seem solid--I've noticed only one non-reproducible glitch (a window
frame didn't redraw; who knows who's to blame...)

Their speed is usable.  I'm still used to the snappy response of the Herc,
but the 16-color 800x600 is fine for me.  The 256 color drivers are of course
slower.  They'll be good for drawing, but are a bit slow for word processing
(with a lot of scrolling).

The 1024x768x16 seems *slower* than the 256-color version.  Dunno why, but
if you have a meg I'd go the extra 4 bits.

In general, I'm glad that all major resolutions and depths are supported--
and being improved still further, supposedly.

Might I just add that instead of using their setup procedure, go into the
SETUP.INF file, add a new disk in the [disks] section for the Trident
driver disk (copy it from the Trident oemsetup.inf and change the number),
copy over the pertainent entried from the [drivers] section, making sure to
change disk numbers as needed, copy the [TVGA.GR3] section, and run Setup
from within Windows.  This will allow you to change modes w/in Windows, so
you can use the 16-color drivers for real work and the 256 color ones for
displaying Yoda or whatever on the background.

Aaron Wallace