[comp.windows.ms] TCP/IP under Windows 3 enhanced mode

adrianf@fawlty.towers.oz (Adrian Foote) (01/21/91)

Hello,
	I am looking for a TCP/IP development package for use
with a windows 3 application running in 386 enhanced mode.

	We have been using such a package from FTP under windows 2
but this does appear to work under windows 3 386 enhanced mode.

	Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Adrian
--
Internet: adrianf@fawlty.towers.oz.au			  Phone: +61 2 427 2999
UUCP:     uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!adrianf		  Fax:   +61 2 427 7072

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (01/27/91)

In article <296@alderan.uucp> chris@alderan.uucp (Christoph Splittgerber) writes:
>In article <551@fawlty.towers.oz> adrianf@fawlty.towers.oz (Adrian Foote) writes:
>>
>>Hello,
>>	I am looking for a TCP/IP development package for use
>>with a windows 3 application running in 386 enhanced mode.
>>
>I tried to mail you but my mail bounced at mcsun (does not know .oz). So,
>sorry for posting this to the net.
>Adrian, could you please mail me a summary of the replies you get because
>we have the same problem here.

Please post the results. I too am interested.

Doug MCDonald (mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)

adrianf@fawlty.towers.oz (Adrian Foote) (02/05/91)

To the ever increasing group of netters after TCP/IP software that will
run in 386 enhanced mode,

	I received a couple of replies regarding the FTP softaware and
some correspondance from FTP. I have also discovered a few things from
other articles on the net.

In summary:

	* the FTP socket library will not run in 386 enhanced mode
	* FTP do NOT intend to produce a socket library that will work
	  in 386 enhanced mode but will provide the source to their
	  current socket library
	* writing your application as a TSR (yuk, messy) will allow
	  you to run the socket library as a dos library
	* most of the major network software people do not have
	  socket libraries in their packages that are windows (386 enhanced)
	  compatible
	* you will probably have read Fredrik Nyman's response to Enno Davids
	  request for information about socket libraries. He suggested a
	  product called NetManage NEWT available from
			100020 North DeAnza Blvd., Suite 101
			Cupertino, CA 95014
			PHONE (408) 257-6404
			FAX   (408) 257-6405

	 This package claims to work under all windows modes and seems to
	 have an adequate socket library.  We are purchasing a copy to
	 evaluate it.

I will be attempting to use the NEWT package to replace the FTP libraries
that run the TCP/IP protocol from our application. We are using Western
Digital Ethernet cards.

Adrian