[comp.windows.ms] COM ports again

6600phnx@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Phoenix / Fig) (02/05/91)

Ok, I know that the COM port thing has been beaten to death but I still
have not seen anyone who is having the same problem that I have.  What's
that?  I can send stuff into the  port and the modem/null cable/whatever
will get the information, but all information sent from the port to
windows get sucked up.  This happens only in 386E mode and only with DOS
programs, in a window or full screen.  Anyone have a similar occurance?

 ..Mike Figueroa..........................        _______________________
 . 6600phnx@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu  (Internet) .       /        //     /
 .         @ucsbuxa.bitnet    (Bitnet)   .      /----    //     /   __
 .........................................     /        //     /     /
   "Vila weighs 73 kilos . . ."               /      ------    ------

watkins@sapphire.idbsu.edu (Chris Watkins) (02/05/91)

In article <8846@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600phnx@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Phoenix / Fig) writes:

>Ok, I know that the COM port thing has been beaten to death but I still
>have not seen anyone who is having the same problem that I have.  What's
>that?  I can send stuff into the  port and the modem/null cable/whatever
>will get the information, but all information sent from the port to
>windows get sucked up.  This happens only in 386E mode and only with DOS
>programs, in a window or full screen.  Anyone have a similar occurance?
>
> ..Mike Figueroa..........................        _______________________
> . 6600phnx@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu  (Internet) .       /        //     /
> .         @ucsbuxa.bitnet    (Bitnet)   .      /----    //     /   __
> .........................................     /        //     /     /
>   "Vila weighs 73 kilos . . ."               /      ------    ------

I'm having the same problem, I noticed that my 16550 chip fixed it for the most
part, but it still is buggy. I assume that the problem is that 386E is just too
slow. I'm running a HST Dual modem, so the data is being crammed through the port
at 38.4k. This is universal, in a dos application or a windows one. I've tried
every trick I could think of along with reading some windows books and it
appears that windows just bogs the heck out of the ports. In Qmodem 4.2F my
CPS in 386e mode goes from 1712-1730 to 1100-1200 cps.

Chris

--
| Watkins@Sapphire.idbsu.edu | (o) (o) | one must remember if it wasn't for|