[comp.windows.ms] Printing PostScript to a File: ^D problem?

indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (01/22/91)

I normally print my documents to a file, carry the floppy to work and
shoot the postscript out to a printer.

All documents that I generate postscript for from Windows, has a leading
Ctrl-D character. This 1st character blows away the printers I sent the
file to with the: binary file encountered error.

So far I have editted the file to delete the 1st character and then all
works well... anyone outthere who has a better solution?

Thanks in advance!

--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com or {ames apple uunet}!amd!indra

pwo900@csc.anu.edu.au (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan21.181243.6378@amd.com>, indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:
> I normally print my documents to a file, carry the floppy to work and
> shoot the postscript out to a printer.
>
> All documents that I generate postscript for from Windows, has a leading
> Ctrl-D character. This 1st character blows away the printers I sent the
> file to with the: binary file encountered error.
>
> So far I have editted the file to delete the 1st character and then all
> works well... anyone outthere who has a better solution?

I have a similar problem.  I have even tried the PSCRIPT.DRV upgrade available
through cica.cica.indiana.edu, but with the same results.

Does anyone know of a patch to remove the troublesome ^D?>

sfrank@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Frank) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.172019.4248@csc.anu.edu.au> pwo900@csc.anu.edu.au writes:
>In article <1991Jan21.181243.6378@amd.com>, indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:
>> I normally print my documents to a file, carry the floppy to work and
>> shoot the postscript out to a printer.
>>
>> All documents that I generate postscript for from Windows, has a leading
>> Ctrl-D character. This 1st character blows away the printers I sent the
>> file to with the: binary file encountered error.
>>
>> So far I have editted the file to delete the 1st character and then all
>> works well... anyone outthere who has a better solution?
>
>I have a similar problem.  I have even tried the PSCRIPT.DRV upgrade available
>through cica.cica.indiana.edu, but with the same results.
>
>Does anyone know of a patch to remove the troublesome ^D?>

/* Filter for Micrografx PostScript files.  The goal is to remove a ^D% as the
     two characters and insert %! to indicate PS, and to remove the trailing
     ^D at the end of the file */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <ctype.h>

main()

I save the PostScript to a file, run the file through the following
filter, and then save the output to the printer.  A C compiler and some
knowledge of how to use filters and send files directly to the printer
is needed to use this method.

	char c;
	int i;

	for (i = 0; i < 2; i++)
		getchar();	/* discards initial ^D%*/
	putchar('%');
	putchar('!');

	while ((c = getchar()) != EOF){
		if (c != 4)		/* ^D = 4 */
			putchar(c);
	}
}

KERRY@MAINE.BITNET (Irelann Kerry Anderson) (02/05/91)

Even though you are printing to a file, it is configured for a particular
printer.  Configure it for a different postscript printer type.  I use
IBM Personal Pageprinter and do not get the ^d.

andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) (02/05/91)

> I normally print my documents to a file, carry the floppy to work and
> shoot the postscript out to a printer.
> All documents that I generate postscript for from Windows, has a leading
> Ctrl-D character. This 1st character blows away the printers I sent the
> file to with the: binary file encountered error.

My guess is that, at work, you're shipping the file to the printer over
a network (AppleTalk or some such) instead of through a serial port or
parallel port.  Control characters such as ^D have special meaning only
when received over these two ports.

If this is your problem, about all you can do is remove that ^D, or
send the file to the printer through its serial or parallel port.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!frip.WV.TEK!andrew)    [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.wv.tek.com@relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]

dll@ut-emx.uucp (Don Loflin) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Jan31.172019.4248@csc.anu.edu.au> pwo900@csc.anu.edu.au writes:
>In article <1991Jan21.181243.6378@amd.com>, indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:
>> I normally print my documents to a file, carry the floppy to work and
>> shoot the postscript out to a printer.
>>
>> All documents that I generate postscript for from Windows, has a leading
>> Ctrl-D character. This 1st character blows away the printers I sent the
>> file to with the: binary file encountered error.
>>
>> So far I have editted the file to delete the 1st character and then all
>> works well... anyone outthere who has a better solution?
>
>I have a similar problem.  I have even tried the PSCRIPT.DRV upgrade available
>through cica.cica.indiana.edu, but with the same results.
>
>Does anyone know of a patch to remove the troublesome ^D?>

There is a way around the Ctrl-D problem, which will also let you send
jobs directly to a PostScript printer on an 'unsupported' (by Windows)
network.  Go into Printer Setup, select your postscript printer, then
click on Options.  In the "Print To" box, select Encapsulated PostScript.
For the file, use \dev\lpt1 (or whatever lpt port you're using).  The
\dev part is DOS's pseudo-directory for devices.  Windows will use
DOS to send the job, and there will be no ^D's since it's EPS.
I use this trick to spool jobs to our LW ntx over LocalTalk from WfW.
Of course, you could always save to a file, then 'copy file lpt1',  if
you are bringing a disk from home.  The main thing is to use EPS, not
the 'FILE:' device.

-------
Don Loflin	dll@emx.utexas.edu

Microcomputer Technologies