[comp.windows.ms] Skipping Windows Banner Screen

mwm@raybed2.msd.ray.com (mwm) (01/31/91)

   I remember reading in one of the trade rags, a tip about setting up Windows
so that when you loaded it, it would skip the banner screen and (maybe?)
start the applications you set up to run on start-up.  Help me out.  Was
I imagining this?  BTW, I know how to use the WIN.INI "load=" and "run=" lines
but using them doesn't disable the banner screen from showing up.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

--
*Mark Marino             * The old ranger weathered the storm and he topped the
*mwm@raybed6.msd.ray.com * rise by the middle of morn.  He saw rippled dunes,

traiger@oxy.edu (Saul Traiger) (02/03/91)

In article <2075@raybed2.msd.ray.com> mwm@raybed2.msd.ray.com (mwm) writes:

>   I remember reading in one of the trade rags, a tip about setting up Windows
>so that when you loaded it, it would skip the banner screen and (maybe?)
>start the applications you set up to run on start-up.	Help me out.  Was
>I imagining this?  BTW, I know how to use the WIN.INI "load=" and "run=" lines
>but using them doesn't disable the banner screen from showing up.

Simply load windows by typing:

win :

That's all there is to it. Now my question - does skipping the banner save
time in loading windows? Any theory or data on this?

   ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
   o   Saul Traiger		 oooooo  Cognitive Science	   o
   ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
   o   Internet:traiger@oxy.edu  *----*  Occidental College	   o
   ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
   o   CIS:71631,717		 oooooo  Los Angeles, CA 90041	   o
   ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) (02/05/91)

In <141704@tiger.oxy.edu> traiger@oxy.edu (Saul Traiger) writes:

[for no banner screen...]
>Simply load windows by typing:

>win :

>That's all there is to it. Now my question - does skipping the banner save
>time in loading windows? Any theory or data on this?

My simple experiment (a watch w/ a sweep second hand) showed their was
no difference in start up time.  It seems that the only thing the
opening screen is there for is to keep me from having to stare at a
blank screen for 10-20 seconds while waiting for things to get going.

The follow-up to this is, of course, are there any tools to help
me create my *own* opening screen file that I can merge into win.com?
I guess ideally something that would convert Paint or GIF files
would be in order....

Robert

--
| Robert L. Howard             |    Georgia Tech Research Institute     |
| rhoward@msd.gatech.edu       |    MATD Laboratory                     |

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (02/06/91)

In article <rhoward.665764037@romeo> rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) writes:
>The follow-up to this is, of course, are there any tools to help
>me create my *own* opening screen file that I can merge into win.com?
>I guess ideally something that would convert Paint or GIF files
>would be in order....

try WinGif located on cica.

--
- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (02/06/91)

In article <rhoward.665764037@romeo>, rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) writes:
> In <141704@tiger.oxy.edu> traiger@oxy.edu (Saul Traiger) writes:
>
> [for no banner screen...]
>>Simply load windows by typing:
>
>>win :
>
>>That's all there is to it. Now my question - does skipping the banner save
>>time in loading windows? Any theory or data on this?
>
> My simple experiment (a watch w/ a sweep second hand) showed their was
> no difference in start up time.  It seems that the only thing the
> opening screen is there for is to keep me from having to stare at a
> blank screen for 10-20 seconds while waiting for things to get going.
>
> The follow-up to this is, of course, are there any tools to help
> me create my *own* opening screen file that I can merge into win.com?
> I guess ideally something that would convert Paint or GIF files
> would be in order....
>
> Robert
>
> --
> | Robert L. Howard             |    Georgia Tech Research Institute     |
> | rhoward@msd.gatech.edu       |    MATD Laboratory                     |
> | (404) 528-7165               |    Atlanta, Georgia  30332             |
> |     "Reality is showing us that perhaps we should do with nuclear     |
> |      power the same thing Keloggs is advocating for Corn Flakes -     |
> |      Discover it again for the first time." -- John De Armond         |

    You can convert GIF files to BMP and RLE files with WinGif, a
    shareware conversion utility. So you could make your own
    screen files with PaintBrush and convert them to RLE format.

    Teemu
--
                             _________
	Teemu Mottonen	    |         |	internet: tmottonen@cc.helsinki.Fi