[comp.windows.ms] Strange Error message

wnp@iiasa.ac.at (Wolf PAUL ) (02/06/91)

I tried installing Windows3 on a 386SX system with 2MB of RAM, and the
installation went o.k. Windows resides in D:\windows, which is also in
the PATH string.

However, after the initial session which SETUP starts, everytime I try
to start Windows, the initial logo screen gets interrupted with an
error message somewhat like this:

	INVALID COMMAND.COM
	UNABLE TO LOAD COMMAND PROCESSOR, SYSTEM HALTED

This is under MS-DOS 4.01.

Any suggestions where to start looking?

Thanks!

Wolf
--
W.N.Paul, Int. Institute f. Applied Systems Analysis, A-2361 Laxenburg--Austria
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465            INTERNET: wnp%iiasa@relay.eu.net

hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu (Hans van Oostrom) (02/06/91)

In article <1022@iiasa.UUCP>, wnp@iiasa.ac.at (Wolf PAUL ) writes...
>However, after the initial session which SETUP starts, everytime I try
>to start Windows, the initial logo screen gets interrupted with an
>error message somewhat like this:
>
>	INVALID COMMAND.COM
>	UNABLE TO LOAD COMMAND PROCESSOR, SYSTEM HALTED

Try setting the compsec environment variable to the command.com you
are using.  You need this for more than just windows:
	set comspec=c:\dos\command.com (or wherever you have it)

NOTE: make sure the command.com it of the same version as you
      operating system, and not a left over from an older version.

Hans van Oostrom
PO Box J-254, JHMHC                 hans@ufpine                (BITNET)
Gainesville, FL  32601, USA         hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu    (INTERNET)

liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vincent J. Liggio) (02/07/91)

In article <1022@iiasa.UUCP> wnp%iiasa@relay.eu.net (Wolf PAUL ) writes:

>I tried installing Windows3 on a 386SX system with 2MB of RAM, and the
>installation went o.k. Windows resides in D:\windows, which is also in
>the PATH string.
>
>However, after the initial session which SETUP starts, everytime I try
>to start Windows, the initial logo screen gets interrupted with an
>error message somewhat like this:
>
>	INVALID COMMAND.COM
>	UNABLE TO LOAD COMMAND PROCESSOR, SYSTEM HALTED
>
>This is under MS-DOS 4.01.
>
>Any suggestions where to start looking?

Hmm.  I had the same problem, which occured when I was playing around with
my dos files.  I use PC-DOS 4.01.  I was using windows with my dos, (4.01
plus the corrective release), and then I reinstalled the dos system (for
unimportant reasons), and didn't install the corrective release.  When I
tried to use windows, it crashed with the same error you had.  Then I
installed the corrective release of dos 4.01, and then windows worked fine.
No idea why, but something in the command.com must be screwy.

Vince