[comp.windows.ms] Standard Mode ... How?!?!?

rlg6@po.CWRU.Edu (Robert L. Gura) (02/05/91)

   Hi! I'm running a 386sx with 1M ram.
I'm supposed to be able to run in standard mode w/ 1Meg, I can't!
Plain and simple. I've tried to set-up himem.sys, but I get an error -
no extended memory found or something like that.
  Could someone please tell me how to set-up himem/emm386 to allow
standard mode? (I would really like to use WinQVTNet!)

                         Thanx, Rob
--
Robert L. Gura (Rob)       | SPC Robert Gura     | Usenet: rlg6@po.cwru.edu
Case Western Reserve Univ. | 256th Gen. Hospital | BitNet:

6600bori@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Boris Burtin) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb5.025352.7273@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> rlg6@po.CWRU.Edu (Robert L. Gura) writes:

>   Hi! I'm running a 386sx with 1M ram.
>I'm supposed to be able to run in standard mode w/ 1Meg, I can't!
>Plain and simple. I've tried to set-up himem.sys, but I get an error -
>no extended memory found or something like that.
>  Could someone please tell me how to set-up himem/emm386 to allow
>standard mode? (I would really like to use WinQVTNet!)

Have you tried running windows as "win /s"?  I have noticed that with my
2 megs of ram, I have to force my computer into enhanced mode; maybe you
have to force it into standard?

waynet@wiffle.techbook.com (Wayne Tilton) (02/06/91)

6600bori@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Boris Burtin) writes:

> In article <1991Feb5.025352.7273@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> rlg6@po.CWRU.Edu (Rober
>

> >   Hi! I'm running a 386sx with 1M ram.
> >I'm supposed to be able to run in standard mode w/ 1Meg, I can't!
> >Plain and simple. I've tried to set-up himem.sys, but I get an error -
> >no extended memory found or something like that.
> >  Could someone please tell me how to set-up himem/emm386 to allow
> >standard mode? (I would really like to use WinQVTNet!)
>
> Have you tried running windows as "win /s"?  I have noticed that with my
> 2 megs of ram, I have to force my computer into enhanced mode; maybe you
> have to force it into standard?

Another possibility is that your extra memory is being used as shadow
ram, making it unavailable to Windows.  Depending on your BIOS and
chipset, you may be able to turn off the shadow ram option, giving
you the extended memory that HIMEM.SYS wants.  On my system with an
AMI BIOS, you can do this by invoking setup at power up but I've
seen others that you had to use special software and even others
that you couldn't do it on at all.

Wayne

tonyd@hplsla.HP.COM (Tony DeMartino) (02/06/91)

Rob,

I am no guru on any of this but it is my understanding that Standart and
Enhanced mode on a 386 machine require some extended or expanded memory.
With only 1MB in your machine you have neither. Enhanced mode requires
a minimum of 2MB to run in Enhanced mode, and even then it's dicy. You
sometimes have to force Windows into Enhanced mode with only 2MB with the
win /3 run command. As far as Standard mode, I think that you again need
2MB,and if you have this, why not run in enhanced. I think standard is
more for 286 Machines that have either Extended or Expanded memory.
However you can run a 386 in standard mode with 2MB with the win /s
run command.

Hope this helps.

rlg6@po.CWRU.Edu (Robert L. Gura) (02/07/91)

>Another possibility is that your extra memory is being used as shadow
>ram, making it unavailable to Windows.  Depending on your BIOS and
>chipset, you may be able to turn off the shadow ram option, giving
>you the extended memory that HIMEM.SYS wants.  On my system with an
>AMI BIOS, you can do this by invoking setup at power up but I've
>seen others that you had to use special software and even others
>that you couldn't do it on at all.
>
>Wayne

  OK. First of all, I have tried the /s option. It tells me that I can't run
standard or enhanced mode on this machine. My BIOS is not shadowed unless I
run a special program to relocate it (which I don't). I don't have hardly any
docs for my machine, so I don't know if my >640k memory is configured as
extended or expanded (I thought >640 <1M was ALWAYS expanded!). How can I
find this out, and if is is configured as the wrong type, can and how can I
change it?
  Thanx for any assistance!
Rob.
--