[comp.windows.ms] Formatting floppies

mikew@proton.LCS.MIT.EDU (Michael B. Williams) (02/01/91)

In article <2211@inews.intel.com>, tom@ismdqa.intel.com (Tom Soukup ~) writes:
|> The first problem is when attempting to format a floppy disk from the File
|> Manager.  After selecting all of the formatting options, I get the
|> "Formatting Diskette" box showing the progress of the format.  The disk
|> will get compeletely formatted, and then the system will get stuck with the
|> message "Creating root directory" in the message box.  If I am formatting a
|> high density disk, I can click on the cancel button at this point and
|> continue with no apparent side effects.  If I have tried formating a double
|> density disk, however, Windows will suddenly abort, leaving me staring at
|> the C:\> prompt.  Note that in both cases, the floppy disk is formatted.
|> Any thoughts??

You've gotten a lot further than I have.  I've been using Windows since 1988,
and I have *never* been able to format a floppy using Windows.  When I try,
I get a dialog box that just says it can't format the disk, but it doesn't say
*why*.  This goes for 5.25" or 3.5" disks, low or high density.

As usual, I can learn to live with another of Windows limitations, but the
curiosity factor moves me to wonder why this is happening.  Any clues?

Michael B. Williams	      \ 1-2-3-4, KICK THE LAWSUITS OUT THE DOOR
MIT NE43-532 		       \ 5-6-7-8, INNOVATE DON'T LITIGATE
Laboratory for Computer Science \ 9-A-B-C, INTERFACES SHOULD BE FREE
545 Technology Square	         \ D-E-F-0, LOOK AND FEEL HAS GOT TO GO!
Cambridge, MA 02139		  --------------------------------------
(617) 253-5983   Internet: mikew@athena.mit.edu   CompuServe: 73667,3264

rm3@stc06.ornl.gov (MCBROOM R C) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Jan31.223713.18506@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> mikew@proton.LCS.MIT.EDU (Michael B. Williams) writes:
>In article <2211@inews.intel.com>, tom@ismdqa.intel.com (Tom Soukup ~) writes:
>|> The first problem is when attempting to format a floppy disk from the File
>|> Manager.  After selecting all of the formatting options, I get the
>|> "Formatting Diskette" box showing the progress of the format.  The disk
>|> will get compeletely formatted, and then the system will get stuck with the
>|> message "Creating root directory" in the message box.  If I am formatting a
>|> high density disk, I can click on the cancel button at this point and
>|> continue with no apparent side effects.  If I have tried formating a double
>|> density disk, however, Windows will suddenly abort, leaving me staring at
>|> the C:\> prompt.  Note that in both cases, the floppy disk is formatted.
>|> Any thoughts??
>
>You've gotten a lot further than I have.  I've been using Windows since 1988,
>and I have *never* been able to format a floppy using Windows.  When I try,
>I get a dialog box that just says it can't format the disk, but it doesn't say
>*why*.  This goes for 5.25" or 3.5" disks, low or high density.
>
>As usual, I can learn to live with another of Windows limitations, but the
>curiosity factor moves me to wonder why this is happening.  Any clues?

Never had a problem with formatting from windows on PS/2's :-)