[comp.windows.ms] Problem with: Trident 8800, 256 colours and MS Excel 2.1c

KEM-PMP@finou.oulu.fi (Petri Pihko) (02/01/91)

I recently re-installed windows 3.0 with 256 colours (I use Trident's drivers).
Win3works fine, even in 386 Enhanced mode. However, Excel 2.1c fails to work
properly with this combination; the Clear command (Clear All) produces an
unrecoverable application error. This does not happen in real mode or with
ordinary 16-colour VGA (with windows' own drivers). The problem does not exist
in 800*600 (16-colour)display or in 1024*768 (16-colour) display. Evidently
it is here that Excel fails to be compatible with Win3. Has anyone had similar
problems? Any solutions (other than getting Excel 3.0) ?

Furthermore, if anyone has had problems with Trident drivers, I can tell you
that there have been faulty vddtvga.386 copies even on the original diskettes
(including my IT-VGA utilities diskettes ...IT-VGA uses Trident chipset).
Vddtvga.386 is a vdd file that 386 enhanced mode needs for proper operation.
Try to get a copy that works, and experience the beauty of 256 colour bitmaps
in the background|

Computer specs:

Informtech 386 motherboard (33-MHz 386, 33-MHz 80387 FPU), 4 MB RAM (32 kB
Video: IT-VGA 512 K (Trident chipset)                     cache)
-------
Petri Pihko            "Liber Ignium ad Comburendos Hostes"
Pihatie 15 C            e-mail: KEM-PMP@finou.oulu.fi (Internet)
SF-90650 OULU               or  KEM-PMP@finou.bitnet
FINLAND                (Institution: University of Oulu, Finland)
tel. +358 81 5302 478
             =-------

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (02/09/91)

KEM-PMP@finou.oulu.fi (Petri Pihko) writes:

>I recently re-installed windows 3.0 with 256 colours (I use Trident's drivers).
>Win3works fine, even in 386 Enhanced mode. However, Excel 2.1c fails to work
>properly with this combination; the Clear command (Clear All) produces an
>unrecoverable application error. This does not happen in real mode or with
>ordinary 16-colour VGA (with windows' own drivers). The problem does not exist
>in 800*600 (16-colour)display or in 1024*768 (16-colour) display. Evidently
>it is here that Excel fails to be compatible with Win3. Has anyone had similar
>problems? Any solutions (other than getting Excel 3.0) ?

Get Excel 2.1d. Perhaps this solves the problem.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>