[comp.windows.ms] Windows 3.0 question

tonyb@olivej.olivetti.com (Anthony M. Brich) (06/30/90)

In article <FETG3BB@utower.gopas.sub.org>, fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org (Axel Fischer) writes:
> Hello netlanders,
> yesterday we've got Windows 3.0 at our company.
> (386'er 25 MHz clone with 80 MB MFM harddrive)
>
> I have noticed three things (or done wrong :-)
>
> a) When I choose "format a disk in drive a:" and answering all questions
> and the formatting finally starts the whole system is locked until the
> formatting is finished.
> I thought Windows 3.0 is multitasking so what's my problem here?
>
> b) When I click on "DOS Prompt" and the screen clears and I get a command.com
> and I start a terminal prg to download something from a local BBS and I
> switch back to Windows via CTRL-ESC the Terminal Prg started from DOS
> stoppes. It does not continue to run in the background.
>
> c) How can I get a DOS commandline window INSIDE of Windows 3.0 (as possible
> with Windows386 and seen in the latest issue of Byte)? Just a small window
> where I can start apps.

	Oh, Axel, you didn't actually BELIEVE Microsoft had managed to
	make DOS, the notorious single-tasking, low-memory operating
	system, into a high-performance multi-tasking operating
	system just by releasing Windows 3.0 ---- did you?  No, no,
	no.  Windows only pretends to multi-task.  I am not a
	technical user at all, so I cannot explain WHY DOS can't
	multi-task, I just know that it can't, and Windows can't make
	it.  So operations like formatting a disk, and using
	COMMAND.COM, which are DOS operations, take over the system;
	there's no such thing as "in the background" with DOS.  Now,
	Windows is somewhat more successful with Windows apps, but
	just try loading up a few and executing some macros or a print
	job, and watch your system slowwwwwww down.

	Also, unless you're running Win 3.0 on a 386, you won't be
	able to run COMMAND.COM in a Window, nor will you be able to
	run non-Windows apps in a Windows.  And, even if you are
	running on a 386, some non-Windows apps (i.e., Word), won't
	run in a window (I think that's right).

	Sorry to burst your bubble, but consider it burst.

	Tony Brich

aas@sat.datapoint.com (Adrienne Stipe) (02/09/91)

I'm posting this question for a friend. Hopefully I'm posting this
to the right place. Please send replies to me via mail, as I do not
normally read these newsgroups. My address is aas@sat.datapoint.com.

What is the easiest way for a protected-mode (386 enhanced) Windows
3.0 application to access a memory mapped device?

How do you make an entry in your virtual machine's Local Descriptor
Table (LDT) to reference a given physical memory location?

Can this be done without writing a Virtual Device Driver?

Thanks in advance for any information,
Adrienne