[comp.windows.ms] Win30 mailers / W4W 'diff' program

lhotka@incstar.uucp (01/30/91)

I have a couple quick (hopefully :-) questions.

First, is there a good mail system for Novell which runs under
Win30?  Is there a good mail system for Novell?  If such mail
systems exists - can they use UUPC as a gateway to the rest of
the world?

Secondly a question about W4W.  Is there a good way (application,
macro, etc) to compare two documents and find their differences?
I am looking for something along the line of a text oriented
'diff' command within W4W if possible.

Thanks for any help!!
/ Rockford Lhotka				INCSTAR Corp	       \
| Applications Project Leader			1990 Industrial Blvd   |
| incstar!lhotka@uunet.uu.net         		PO Box 285             |
\ 612/779-1701					Stillwater, MN 55082   /
 -------------Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.--------------

Hubert Lai <LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (01/31/91)

>First, is there a good mail system for Novell which runs under
>Win30?  Is there a good mail system for Novell?  If such mail
>systems exists - can they use UUPC as a gateway to the rest of
>the world?

Da Vinci E-Mail, CC:Mail, both come in Windows versions and are quite
nice.  There are probably lots of others, but these two pop into my
mind most readily.

>Secondly a question about W4W.  Is there a good way to compare two
>versions of documents and find their differences?

This function is built into W4W!  Here is what you have to do:

1) Open a version of the document.
2) Choose Utilities Compare Versions.
3) Type or select the name of the version you want to compare with the
   active document.
4) Choose OK to display revision marks for new or altered paragraphs in
   the active document.
Note: The revision marks displayed are determined by the selected options
      in the Utilities Revision Marks dialog box.
<=- Hubert

todd@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) (02/01/91)

In article <2578.27a69f27@incstar.uucp> lhotka@incstar.uucp writes:
>I have a couple quick (hopefully :-) questions.
>
>First, is there a good mail system for Novell which runs under
>Win30?  Is there a good mail system for Novell?  If such mail

I've been using DaVinci eMAIL for Windows (they also have DOS and OS/2
products included in the combo pack I got) on a Novell system with MHS
support. I've been very happy with the product and the the company. Their
tech support is available via an 800 number. I always get a tech on a line
when I can (no call backs, long waits, etc.). They always try to solve my
problem and followup promptly if they cannot answer me right away. They
also have shipped bug updates to me free of charge (However, there is a $95
charge for a server level upgrade for their newest Windows product which
goes beyond bug fixes and adds functionality). Both the Windows and DOS
versions are very easy to use (I have not tried the OS/2 version yet).

>systems exists - can they use UUPC as a gateway to the rest of
>the world?

I spoke to one of their developers a few months ago. They were best-testing
an SMTP product at that time and offered me a free test copy when I get my
gateway between my UNIX box and my Novell network built (in a few weeks I
hope).

I understand that CC:Mail has had a DOS to UNIX gateway (as well as a Mac
product) out for some time now.
--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhunix!todd

brandyt@microsoft.UUCP (Brandy THORP) (02/09/91)

In article <2578.27a69f27@incstar.uucp> lhotka@incstar.uucp writes:
>Secondly a question about W4W.  Is there a good way (application,
>macro, etc) to compare two documents and find their differences?
>I am looking for something along the line of a text oriented
>'diff' command within W4W if possible.

Check out Utilities Compare Versions.  First you need to have one
of the versions open, and then choose this command.  It will prompt
you for the name of the file you want to compare against, and then
it will use the same symbols as Util Revision Marks to show you
the differences.

..brandy thorp.