[comp.windows.ms] Accolades for fmsound & Dinger

becap@cs.mcgill.ca (Brian CAPSON) (02/07/91)

There's a couple of new WinApps on CICA that I think (IMHO)
are worthy of note, but haven't yet received any comments
on the NET. They've made my Windows life more bearable, and
I thought I'd draw some attention to them for those who
haven't yet seen them.  The first is a macro script for Word
for Windows called Dinger that adds an Insert Chararacter
command to the Insert menu. It allows the insertion of any
character from a particular font, and gives you a nice grid
of all the possibilities so that you just have to click on
the one you want, and the character is inserted, making all
the necessary font changes in the process.  It's especially
useful for the Zingbats and Symbol fonts because it shows
you all of the possible characters, you just click on the
one you want instead of looking the character up in a table!
.
The other program is one that I know I've been eagerly awaiting
and is finally available is a sound driver for Adlib and
Soundblaster cards for Windows. This driver allows all of
your regular Windows sounds to be played in Stereo from
you sound card. I realize that this probably only effects the
few people who have these cards, but it will probably make
alot of people buy them. You can taylor the standard windows
beep to any one of about 50 included instruments, and can
play sound files in the background.  But much more importantly,
the developers of the driver have said that they will be
announcing libraries that will allow WinApps to call the
sound routines on the card. We'll soon see Windows games with
great stereo sound, and the opportunity for great Windows-based
multimedia software. The developer also writes that he will
soon have specific drivers for the Sound Blaster card that take
advantage of the digital recording and playback features, and
the FM sound capabilities of the card.  Finally this will allow
the IBM to combine a graphical interface with great sound
a la the Mac and NeXT machines. Hats off to these developers
who have given their time and talents to produce affordable
well-working software that the big houses seem unable to
produce!
.
- Brian Capson
  McGill University
  Montreal, Quebec
  Canada

jset_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Jeff Setzer) (02/07/91)

I'd like to second your accolades!  I've been waiting for a Windows driver
for my SoundBlaster for a long time, and now, here on the Net, it looks like
one is finally available...great job, folks.

--
ASTROSETZ            | Internet: jset_cif@cc.rochester.edu (U of Rochester, NY)
"The Heavens Declare | ...but it's hard to tell with those  |   CONTEXT IS

mr@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (02/07/91)

In <1991Feb6.230513.13538@cs.mcgill.ca> becap@cs.mcgill.ca (Brian
CAPSON) writes:

>There's a couple of new WinApps on CICA that I think (IMHO)
>are worthy of note, but haven't yet received any comments
>on the NET.

For your reference, these files are currently in the "uploads"
subdirectory as "gading.zip" and "gpsenv.zip".  They'll be moved into
the winword subdirectory soon.

Thanks for the uploads!

--
michael regoli
mr@ogre.cica.indiana.edu

ms33@prism.gatech.EDU (Mike Sullivan, a.k.a. Sully) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb6.230513.13538@cs.mcgill.ca> becap@cs.mcgill.ca (Brian CAPSON) writes:
>There's a couple of new WinApps on CICA that I think (IMHO)
>are worthy of note, but haven't yet received any comments
>on the NET ....  The first is a macro script for Word
>for Windows called Dinger that adds an Insert Chararacter
>command to the Insert menu. It allows the insertion of any
>character from a particular font, and gives you a nice grid
>of all the possibilities so that you just have to click on
>the one you want, and the character is inserted, making all
>the necessary font changes in the process.  It's especially
>useful for the Zingbats and Symbol fonts because it shows
>you all of the possible characters, you just click on the
>one you want instead of looking the character up in a table!

Where is this?  Maybe I'm blind, but I looked all over Cica.  I looked
for anything with Dinger in it, I also looked in winword\gtools.zip. I
searched the INDEX file.  Maybe other people are having problems
finding it too.  It sounds like a great utility and I'd really like to
try it.  If you could tell me where it is, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike Sullivan

One of many Michael P. Sullivans, my views are expressly my own, and are not
endorsed by my boss, fellow workers, or any other Mike Sullivan. :-)
Internet: ms33@prism.gatech.edu     |      Ga.Tech, Atlanta Georgia, 30332

) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb6.230513.13538@cs.mcgill.ca>, becap@cs.mcgill.ca (Brian CAPSON) writes:
> The other program is one that I know I've been eagerly awaiting
> and is finally available is a sound driver for Adlib and
> Soundblaster cards for Windows...
Is this driver somewhere in Cica?  The two files in the upload directory are for
WfW.  Does anyone know the exact name of this file?
| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |