[comp.windows.ms] MS_SH under Windows?

ecc@CS.CMU.EDU (Eric Cooper) (02/05/91)

I am having trouble running MS_SH v1.64 under Windows 3.0 on a 286
machine; the shell comes up, but then the machine hangs when I try to
run a command.

If anyone has run this successfully, can you tell me what your
configuration looks like?

Otherwise, does anyone know of another UNIX-like shell that runs well
under Windows?

	Professor Eric C. Cooper
	School of Computer Science
	Carnegie Mellon University
	Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania  15213-3890

	Internet: ecc@cs.cmu.edu
	   Phone: +1 412 268 3734
	     FAX: +1 412 681 5739

scott@cs.hw.ac.uk (Scott Telford) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb5.155504.28043@cs.cmu.edu> ecc@CS.CMU.EDU (Eric Cooper) writes:
>I am having trouble running MS_SH v1.64 under Windows 3.0 on a 286
>machine; the shell comes up, but then the machine hangs when I try to
>run a command.
>
>If anyone has run this successfully, can you tell me what your
>configuration looks like?

It depends on your 'swap' setting. If it is 'swap extend' then sh will
swap to extended or XMS memory when it executes any program. For this to
work in Win 3 Standard mode you have to have the XMS setting in the
appropriate PIF file for sh set to a minimum of 200k or thereabouts. If
you don't you'll get a system crash.

If you have 'swap disk' then sh will swap to disk, and this should work
no problem. I haven't tried the EMS swap option since I don't have any
EMS configured at the moment on my PC.

BTW, If you're running in 386 Enhanced mode, then 'swap extend' always
gives you a swap file reload "panic" error which makes sh hang up. I
don't know how to get round this. I e-mailed the author about this
point but he wasn't previously aware of the problem. Does anybody else
know of a fix for this?

>Otherwise, does anyone know of another UNIX-like shell that runs well
>under Windows?

The only other reasonably good Unix-like shell for DOS that I know about
is the Korn Shell that comes with MKS Toolkit. I don't think this tries
to do any fancy swapping.
| Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,               scott@cs.hw.ac.uk    |
| Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK.                 scott%hwcs@ukc.uucp  |
|_____ "Expect the unexpected." (The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy) ______|

low@melair.UUCP (Rick Low) (02/10/91)

ecc@CS.CMU.EDU (Eric Cooper) writes:

>I am having trouble running MS_SH v1.64 under Windows 3.0 on a 286
>machine; the shell comes up, but then the machine hangs when I try to
>run a command.

I can guarantee a hangup under the same conditions if I swap to
extended memory from ms_sh.  If by chance you execute 'swap extend'
in any of your profile files at startup, change it to something else.

I run ms_sh 1.64 under Windows 3.0 on a 286 box successfully using
'swap disk' to swap to a RAM disk or 'swap off' to not swap at all.

cheers
Rick Low
+1 613 957 9500
mitel!melair!low@uunet.uu.net