[comp.windows.ms] DDE and OLE

csk@locus.com (Charley Kline) (01/31/91)

I know that DDE is the windows dynamic data exchange protocol for
exchanging data among windows applications.  I have heard of something
called "OLE" which is some kind of object protocol or language.
Has anyone heard of it?  Can anyone send me information on it or
tell me how to get information on it?

Thanks.

-- Charley Kline

johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) (02/13/91)

In article <21651@oolong.la.locus.com> csk@locus.com (Charley Kline) writes:
>exchanging data among windows applications.  I have heard of something
>called "OLE" which is some kind of object protocol or language.

OLE stands for Object Linking and Embedding.  It is Microsoft's plan for
giving users the ability to put "objects" into documents and have them
still be editable by the users.

For instance, with OLE you will be able to paste a bitmap into your text
editor and (provided it supports OLE) be able to click on it and fire up the
original program that created it.  Thus the bitmap (which is the "object"
in this case) might be automatically loaded into Windows Paint if that is
where it was originally copied to the clipboard from.

Another thing you can do with OLE is just paste a link to an object into a
document.  Then, when the original object is updated the pasted copy will
be updated as well.  That way you can use Excel to keep a spreadsheet up to
date in a Word document without having to keep pasting the update
spreadsheet back into Word every time it changes.

On Compu$erve "GO MSOPSYS" to get the current OLE stuff from data library 1.

John Munsch