[comp.windows.ms] YAMOD

np4@prism.gatech.EDU (POMPONIO,NICHOLAS A) (02/08/91)

I am having a "mouse-on-drugs" problem.  It occurrs only after I return from
a full-screen DOS window, and only after a cold boot. Every morning I have to
get into Windows and perform a warm boot so that I can use my DOS applications
with impunity. I must, however, reboot from within Windows for the problem to
go away; a reboot from DOS before entering Windows won't help.

I am running  Windows 3.0 in 386 mode. I have the "stacks=0,0" statement in
the CONFIG.SYS file, and I am using a Logitech mouse with the most current
driver. I've seen a lot of articles about problems with Logitech mice, but
I don't believe that the driver is the problem. Some applications, such as
CrossTalk, do not even load the Logitech mouse driver when launched from
Windows, (it is not loaded at boot-up, either) yet returning from them
after a cold boot still produces the problem.

If it helps the diagnosis, the SYSTEM.INI file has the line
"mouse.drv=lmouse.drv" in it. I would greatly appreciate any helpful hints.

--
POMPONIO,NICHOLAS A
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!np4

nan@math.ksu.edu (Nan Zou) (02/13/91)

np4@prism.gatech.EDU (POMPONIO,NICHOLAS A) writes:

>I am having a "mouse-on-drugs" problem.  It occurrs only after I return from
>a full-screen DOS window, and only after a cold boot. Every morning I have to
>get into Windows and perform a warm boot so that I can use my DOS applications
>with impunity. I must, however, reboot from within Windows for the problem to
>go away; a reboot from DOS before entering Windows won't help.

>I am running  Windows 3.0 in 386 mode. I have the "stacks=0,0" statement in
>the CONFIG.SYS file, and I am using a Logitech mouse with the most current
>driver. I've seen a lot of articles about problems with Logitech mice, but
>I don't believe that the driver is the problem. Some applications, such as
>CrossTalk, do not even load the Logitech mouse driver when launched from
>Windows, (it is not loaded at boot-up, either) yet returning from them
>after a cold boot still produces the problem.

I do think this is a driver problem. I had the problem regularly when I
switch from windowed dos program to full screen and back. I've found one
solution to this: start a dos program in windowed mode, now hit Alt-Enter
to switch to full screen, don't switch it back again, use the program's normal
quit command to exit, or Ctrl-Esc to go to other program, after you exit the
program in full screen mode, you won't have any problem again, at least I
haven't encountered any. I don't know the reason execpt that it works for me.

--
           Nan Zou              | Bitnet  : nan@ksuvm
    Kansas State University     | Internet: nan@math.ksu.edu