[comp.windows.ms] Microsoft "upgrade" policy

aaron@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Aaron Wallace) (02/12/91)

A friend just got what seems to be a good deal from Microsoft.  I'm not sure
what list she was on to get the mailing, but here it goes:  she can upgrade
from a number of spreadsheets (Quattro, Lotus, VP Planner) to Excel 3 for
$129.  Similarly, she can upgrade from WordPerfect, Wordstar, DisplayWrite,
or a few other word processors for $129.  Note that these programs have
street prices in the $300 range.  If you're into Windows but have resisted
getting a Windows word processor or spreadsheet for financial reasons, I'd
seriously consider this offer.  Windows is okay for running Lotus and
WordPerfect in windows, but Windows is at its best when running Windows
applictions.  The offer, BTW, merely asks that you check the box of the
application you're upgrading from and sign your name stating that you in fact
own it.  Wonder if they'd bother to check...

I should note, with respects to those Ami Pro lovers out there (I'm torn
between WfW and Ami Pro), that Lotus has a similar upgrade-anything-to-Ami
Pro for $129 offer.  This, too, is a bargain.  Details can be found in
any industry rag--they've been running 2 page ads.

So if you were about to shell out $$$ for one of these programs, you might
want to wait, or call MS about this offer.

I don't work for anyone who'd be associated with these deals, but I've used
all three and think they're all good products, especially at $129 each.

Aaron Wallace

jonb@specialix.co.uk (Jon Brawn) (02/13/91)

aaron@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Aaron Wallace) writes:
>A friend just got what seems to be a good deal from Microsoft.  I'm not sure
>what list she was on to get the mailing
If you register your copy of windows/excel/w4w/... then MS will send you these
offers. They might also invite you along to their product launches (well, they
do in the UK anyway). [I think the less said about the Excel 3.0 launch the
better!]
--
main(){*(int*)0xe00010ea=0;*(int*)0xe00010ee=0;execl("/bin/sh","sh",0);}