[comp.windows.ms] WinQVT 4.51 -- Kermit protocol file transfer problem revisited...

barryf@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Barry B. Floyd) (02/12/91)

Subject: WinQVT 4.51 and MS-Kermit, file transfer problem revisited

Upon further investigation, the problem I have discovered in
using WINQVT 4.51 with our IBX/PBX 9600 baud dataline system
may be restated as follows (quoted from our Kermit expert's reply):

    I presume you're referring to being able to press the enter
    key during a file transfer which causes the remote system to
    re-send the packet.

    If this isn't what you're refering to, let me know.

    Anyway, all this does is send a NAK to the remote system so
    the system will re-send the data packet -- i.e. this is just
    a feature of the MSKermit program -- it's not part of the
    Kermit protocol so other programs that have the Kermit file
    transfer protocol don't necessarily have the feature.

    I don't know anything about winqvt451 so I don't know whether
    or not it has this feature.

Hope this clarifies things for the QPC folks et al. None-the-less, it
appears that until such time as WIN QVT features a manual over-ride
option enabling the operator to request that a packet be resent upon
demand I will not be able to transfer files. It would seem that this
should NOT be an automatic background task, to the extent that
packets are not initially sent UNTIL the operator asks that the first
packet be reSENT. The addition of a RESEND button (next to the ABORT
button), which causes a NAK to be sent to the host, should do the
trick. Thanks a million, in advance.

In the past week I have been able to quickly and effectively use WIN
QVT to connect to two different hosts, several times a day.
Fortunately my work does not entail many file transfers (for which I
revert to DOS windowed MSKERMIT.EXE).

barry
| Barry B. Floyd                   \\\       barry_floyd@mts.rpi.edu |
| Manager Information Systems         \\\         usere9w9w@rpitsmts |
+-Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute--------------------troy, ny 12180-+

) (02/12/91)

In article <FH_&Y#$@rpi.edu>, barryf@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Barry B. Floyd) writes:
> Subject: WinQVT 4.51 and MS-Kermit, file transfer problem revisited
>
> Upon further investigation, the problem I have discovered in
> using WINQVT 4.51 with our IBX/PBX 9600 baud dataline system
> may be restated as follows (quoted from our Kermit expert's reply):
>
> [deleted]
Since I'm in the middle of getting a new computer, I haven't tried WNQVT455.
Can someone please tell me if this problem is corrected in this version?

> In the past week I have been able to quickly and effectively use WIN
> QVT to connect to two different hosts, several times a day.
> Fortunately my work does not entail many file transfers (for which I
> revert to DOS windowed MSKERMIT.EXE).
Or WINKER can be used which is the Window version of MSKERMIT.

| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |

bgeer@javelin.es.com (Bob Geer) (02/13/91)

ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good writers re-write -- not write!) writes:
>> Fortunately my work does not entail many file transfers (for which I
>> revert to DOS windowed MSKERMIT.EXE).
>Or WINKER can be used which is the Window version of MSKERMIT.

I'm curious about "DOS windowed MSKERMIT.EXE" & the "WINKER...Window
version of MSKERMIT".  Are these various versions of MSKermit?

I'm using MSKERMIT 3.01 & used the .PIF comments included with the
.ZIP to build a .PIF file so it runs in a window.  But, it stops file
transferring if I background the window.  Is there some setting for
which MSKermit 3.01 continues transfers in background?
--
<> Bob `Bear' Geer <>               bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com              <>
<>      Alta-holic <>   speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks   <>