[comp.windows.ms] EXCEL 3.0 colume and row buttons

cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) (02/11/91)

In article <6800@mace.cc.purdue.edu> dve@mace.cc.purdue.edu writes:

>	I think my EXCEL 3.0 is a little wierd now. As I can see in
>	all magazine reviews, the sheets of EXCEL 3.0 all have the
>	column and row headings that look like buttons (raised and
>	grey in color). But on my sheets here the headings are the
>	plain grids like the cells. I tried every thing in the menus
>	and just can't get it. So my EXCEL doesn't look as pretty
>	as those in the magazines. The manual doesn't say anything
>	about this. Could some one please help me.

				are you , perchance , using an older
version of windows , like 2.11 ? excel does not draw the screens itself
; it tells windows to do this .

--
       @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @

umross27@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Christopher Winston Ross) (02/11/91)

In article <6800@mace.cc.purdue.edu> dve@mace.cc.purdue.edu writes:

>	I think my EXCEL 3.0 is a little wierd now. As I can see in
>	all magazine reviews, the sheets of EXCEL 3.0 all have the
>	column and row headings that look like buttons (raised and
>	grey in color). But on my sheets here the headings are the
>	plain grids like the cells. I tried every thing in the menus
>	and just can't get it. So my EXCEL doesn't look as pretty
>	as those in the magazines. The manual doesn't say anything
>	about this. Could some one please help me.
>
>	Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem w/ Excel V2.1d and I never did get it fixed up.
I had no trouble at all with 2.1c though.  Anyone at MS out there want to
take a stab at these.  I run 800x600 ATI card, 20Mhz 386, 4mb ram.

Hope to hear from someone before I get my Excel Upgrade.

Chris Ross
UMROSS27@ccu.UManitoba.CA

nee@cf_su14.Sbi.Com (Robert Nee) (02/11/91)

> But on my sheets here the headings are the plain grids like the cells.
> I tried every thing in the menus and just can't get it.

Are you using bizarre color combinations?  Someone here had a similar
complaint.  When I went to check it out, the guy was using Yellow as the
default background for windows instead of white.  He also had Purple menus
and Blue text.

YUCK!!!!

Serves this guy right.  But after I finally decided to reset his colors to
something a bit more standard (and estetically pleasing) Excel and Word
seemed to look nicer (3d and stuff)

Also, I have read that the default for EGA is to leave off all of the fancy
3D stuff.  In Word, at least, you can overide the default by placing the
following line in your "Microsoft Word" section.

.
.
.
[Microsoft Wrod]
NewLook = {1 for Fancy; 0 for plain}

.
.
.

I hope this helps.

Robert F. Nee <nee@cf_su20.Sbi.Com>

altman@sbgrad6.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.065804.13278@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umross27@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Christopher Winston Ross) writes:
>In article <6800@mace.cc.purdue.edu> dve@mace.cc.purdue.edu writes:
>>
>>	I think my EXCEL 3.0 is a little wierd now. As I can see in
>>	all magazine reviews, the sheets of EXCEL 3.0 all have the
>>	column and row headings that look like buttons (raised and
>>	grey in color). But on my sheets here the headings are the
>>	plain grids like the cells. I tried every thing in the menus
>
>I had the same problem w/ Excel V2.1d and I never did get it fixed up.
>I had no trouble at all with 2.1c though.  Anyone at MS out there want to
>take a stab at these.  I run 800x600 ATI card, 20Mhz 386, 4mb ram.

Try entering a line in the [Microsoft Excel] section that reads:
NewLook=1

--
- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (02/13/91)

On a VGA screen WIndows 3 does 3D stuff. With a TTL monitor on EGA or if you
choose VGA monochrome display (which many people do in error when they
have an analog monochrome display... choose VGA) you will not see the
3D stuff.

tj

dpalmans@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Daniel Palmans) (02/14/91)

/ hpcupt1:comp.windows.ms / dve@mace.cc.purdue.edu /  4:34 am  Feb 10, 1991 /

> 	I think my EXCEL 3.0 is a little wierd now. As I can see in
> 	all magazine reviews, the sheets of EXCEL 3.0 all have the
> 	column and row headings that look like buttons (raised and
> 	grey in color). But on my sheets here the headings are the
> 	plain grids like the cells. I tried every thing in the menus
> 	and just can't get it. So my EXCEL doesn't look as pretty
> 	as those in the magazines. The manual doesn't say anything
> 	about this. Could some one please help me.
>
> 	Thanks in advance.
> ----------

I have exactly the same problem with mine ( with both 2.0 and 3.0 )

In the 3.0 versions I get all the new buttons in 3d. But the row and column
buttons are still in 2d.  I did some experiments with the desktop colors and
was able to get 3d effect for these buttons by going back to a white windows
screen.  So it seems that you lose 3d effect if you use a colored windows
background. By windows backgound color I mean the background inside a window ,
not the desktop background where you can have a bmp file.

tedb@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Ted Beers) (02/14/91)

/ hpcvra.cv.hp.com:comp.windows.ms / cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) /  9:36 am  Feb 10, 1991 /
In article <6800@mace.cc.purdue.edu> dve@mace.cc.purdue.edu writes:

>	I think my EXCEL 3.0 is a little wierd now. As I can see in
>	all magazine reviews, the sheets of EXCEL 3.0 all have the
>	column and row headings that look like buttons (raised and
>	grey in color). But on my sheets here the headings are the
>	plain grids like the cells. I tried every thing in the menus
>	and just can't get it. So my EXCEL doesn't look as pretty
>	as those in the magazines. The manual doesn't say anything
>	about this. Could some one please help me.

It has been a while since I did this, but here's the general idea:

By default, Excel doesn't include the 3D appearance on an EGA monitor.
However, by adding the line "NewLook=1" (or perhaps "New Look=1") to the
[Excel] section of your WIN.INI file, Excel WILL use the 3D look.

By the way, this same technique works for Word for Windows.

Ted W. Beers