[comp.windows.ms] Terminal Beginners tip

lavigne@toto.cis.ohio-state.edu (david lavigne) (02/13/91)

	I didnt see this is the manual and it sure helped me. If
unsolicited tips are inappropriate, please use a low heat on your
flame-throwers.

	If you send a text file to the modem before you have actually
dialed anything, then the modem receives this information in command mode.
Thus I was able to use notepad to write all the initialization commands
to put my modem in MNP-5 reliable compressed mode into  a file. I then
choose send text and my modem is ready  for MNP-5 duty.  This allows you
a basic scripting capability for Terminal.

	Sorry for the waste of bandwidth, but I thought that other
beginners like myself would like to know this.

			David Lavigne.

cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) (02/14/91)

In <88320@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> lavigne@toto.cis.ohio-state.edu (david lavigne) writes:

>	I didnt see this is the manual and it sure helped me. If
>unsolicited tips are inappropriate, please use a low heat on your
>flame-throwers.

>	If you send a text file to the modem before you have actually
>dialed anything, then the modem receives this information in command mode.
>Thus I was able to use notepad to write all the initialization commands
>to put my modem in MNP-5 reliable compressed mode into  a file. I then
>choose send text and my modem is ready  for MNP-5 duty.  This allows you
>a basic scripting capability for Terminal.

I think the commands listed under "Settings - Modem Commands - Originate"
are sent to the modem either when you start up the program or when you
get ready to make a call.  This might be easier than sending a file
to the modem.

--
Charles H. Chapman  (GTRI/MATD)             (404) 528-7588
* Home of the 1990 National Champion Ga. Tech Yellow Jackets *