[comp.windows.ms] How do I INCREASE the speed in Windows?

jtanlim@mars (TANLIMCO JOHN JAY GO) (02/14/91)

Hi,
   I have some questions on how I can improve the speed or
apparent speed in 386 enhanced mode (or any other mode).
I have the following configuration:
		386 25MHz  (no cache)
		4MB memory
	 	512K ATI VGA
		ViewSonic 4  (ViewPerfect 4 (?))
		65Mb Mitsubishi 535 (?)
                Panasonic KX-P1124

1) I've heard that more memory is better, but how much more?
   Isn't 4Mb enough?  I have room for 4Mb more on board.

2) What is the optimum time slice?  I know that sometimes the
   optimum speed is not perceived as such when the response
   time is not even.  So, can somebody also tell me how to
   make it seem like it is working faster.

3) One of the main complaints I'm getting from the users is that
   printing is very slow.  I know it's because the 1124 is slow,
   but will installation of the optional 32K buffer help?  When
   something is being printed, WRITE responds very poorly to
   keystrokes and this is very annoying.

4) Does anybody out there really use Windows in 1024x768?  I find
   the characters too small and too dim to read.  I would like to
   hear from those who have tried it, what the pros and cons are.
   Flicker is not that bad of a problem.

--JohnJay

burgoyne@eng.umd.edu (John R. Burgoyne) (02/15/91)

In article <1520@fs1.ee.ubc.ca> jtanlim@mars () writes:

>Hi,
>   I have some questions on how I can improve the speed or
>apparent speed in 386 enhanced mode (or any other mode).
>I have the following configuration:
>		386 25MHz  (no cache)
>		4MB memory
>	 	512K ATI VGA
>		ViewSonic 4  (ViewPerfect 4 (?))
>		65Mb Mitsubishi 535 (?)
>                Panasonic KX-P1124

The cache models are much faster. I have no cache at home but do
have it at work. Usually there's no way to upgrade your motherboard.

>1) I've heard that more memory is better, but how much more?
>   Isn't 4Mb enough?  I have room for 4Mb more on board.

It depends on what you're doing. 4 extra MB costs about $180 these
days. If you use something like Corel Draw, its worth it.

>2) What is the optimum time slice?  I know that sometimes the
>   optimum speed is not perceived as such when the response
>   time is not even.  So, can somebody also tell me how to
>   make it seem like it is working faster.

This only makes a difference for non-windows apps. If you're running
only true WinApps, it doesn't change anything.

>3) One of the main complaints I'm getting from the users is that
>   printing is very slow.  I know it's because the 1124 is slow,
>   but will installation of the optional 32K buffer help?  When
>   something is being printed, WRITE responds very poorly to
>   keystrokes and this is very annoying.

If you're not using native printer fonts and Windows is being called
upon to generate the fonts, this is very slow. The buffer probably
won't help much.

>4) Does anybody out there really use Windows in 1024x768?  I find
>   the characters too small and too dim to read.  I would like to
>   hear from those who have tried it, what the pros and cons are.
>   Flicker is not that bad of a problem.

If you're using a moitor/card combination that requires interlaced
mode at 1024x768, it is generally intolerable, particularly on
smaller monitors.

I think to do 1024x768 right, you need something like the Hercules
Graphics Station(?) with something like the NEC 4D for a monitor.

OTOH, 800x600x(16 or 256) are both pretty good.

Finally, don't forget to use SMARTDRV.SYS and to setup a permanent
swap file.

Robert