[comp.windows.ms] Running in '386 Enhanced.

acoolidg@wpi.WPI.EDU (Aaron P Coolidge) (02/04/91)

	The only way to run in '386 enhanced is to have at least
two megabytes of RAM.  That's what the message " Insufficient memory
to run in Enhanced Mode" Means.  Note that if you have JUST 2MB RAM,
you must start windows with "win /3" or you'll get standard mode.
If you have anything over 2MB RAM and a '386 Processor, windows
automaticaly starts in 386 Enhanced mode.
	Unlike Win/286 V2.X, you MUST be in '386 Enhanced mode to run
anything in a window that is not a windows application (Like a DOS prompt!)

--
Aaron Coolidge
               acoolidg@wpi.wpi.edu    bitnet:sorry, use a gateway.

dana@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Daniel Schneider) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb4.141911.26527@wpi.WPI.EDU>, acoolidg@wpi.wpi.edu says:

>        The only way to run in '386 enhanced is to have at least
>two megabytes of RAM.  That's what the message " Insufficient memory
>to run in Enhanced Mode" Means.  Note that if you have JUST 2MB RAM,
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>you must start windows with "win /3" or you'll get standard mode.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>If you have anything over 2MB RAM and a '386 Processor, windows
>automaticaly starts in 386 Enhanced mode.

My 386sx has JUST 2MB RAM, and enters ENHANCED MODE when I start with
only "win".  Anybody have any idea why?  Not that I'm complaining.

Dan
dana@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

Angus.Fox@uk.sun.com (Angus Fox - Sun EHQ - Sitka) (02/06/91)

In article <43769@ut-emx.uucp> dana@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Daniel Schneider)
writes:
> My 386sx has JUST 2MB RAM, and enters ENHANCED MODE when I start with
> only "win".  Anybody have any idea why?  Not that I'm complaining.

I suspect that if you set up a permanent swapfile Win3 will load in 386
mode even if your real memory count is not high enough.

Angus Fox
Internet:Angus.Fox@uk.sun.com
AppleLink:SITKAEUROPE
Phone +44 276 51440

jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) (02/07/91)

In article <1396@west.West.Sun.COM> Angus.Fox@uk.sun.com (Angus Fox - Sun EHQ - Sitka) writes:
>In article <43769@ut-emx.uucp> dana@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Daniel Schneider)
>writes:
>> My 386sx has JUST 2MB RAM, and enters ENHANCED MODE when I start with
>> only "win".  Anybody have any idea why?  Not that I'm complaining.
>
>I suspect that if you set up a permanent swapfile Win3 will load in 386
>mode even if your real memory count is not high enough.

Not exactly.  From Microsoft Product Support Services Application Note,
subject Memory Management Under Windows 3.00:

The requirements for WIN.COM to automatically start up in enhanced more are
the following:

* 803086 processor or above
* 1024K of free extended memory
* XMS driver loaded (HIMEM.SYS)

Actual Enhanced Mode Requirements

See the above notes for standard mode regarding the interrelationship of
conventional and extended memory requirements.  A typical installation
requires a minimum of 182K free at the DOS prompt to run enhanced mode,
assuming sufficient extended memory is free.  Enhanced mode requires
between 580K and 624K combined conventional and extended memory to run
(approximately).

Note that enhanced mode can start up in low memory situations only because
it provides virtual memory support.  However, it may be extremely slow due
to the large amount of disk swapping it must perform.

All numbers are approximate and may vary widely depending on the
configuration (for example, Windows device drivers chosen, DOS version,
display adapter, etc.).  128K of extended memory is recovered from shadow
RAM usage on COMPAQ 386 machines.  Memory requirements take into account
memory that can be recovered from SMARTDrive (down to the minimum cache
size specified).

--
Jason Merrill					jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

ehwang@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Eric Hwang) (02/08/91)

/ hpcupt1:comp.windows.ms / jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) /  8:12 am  Feb  6, 1991 /
In article <1396@west.West.Sun.COM> Angus.Fox@uk.sun.com (Angus Fox - Sun EHQ - Sitka) writes:
>In article <43769@ut-emx.uucp> dana@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Daniel Schneider)
>writes:
>> My 386sx has JUST 2MB RAM, and enters ENHANCED MODE when I start with
>> only "win".  Anybody have any idea why?  Not that I'm complaining.
>
>I suspect that if you set up a permanent swapfile Win3 will load in 386
>mode even if your real memory count is not high enough.

Not exactly.  From Microsoft Product Support Services Application Note,
subject Memory Management Under Windows 3.00:

The requirements for WIN.COM to automatically start up in enhanced more are
the following:

* 803086 processor or above
* 1024K of free extended memory
* XMS driver loaded (HIMEM.SYS)

Actual Enhanced Mode Requirements

See the above notes for standard mode regarding the interrelationship of
conventional and extended memory requirements.  A typical installation
requires a minimum of 182K free at the DOS prompt to run enhanced mode,
assuming sufficient extended memory is free.  Enhanced mode requires
between 580K and 624K combined conventional and extended memory to run
(approximately).

Note that enhanced mode can start up in low memory situations only because
it provides virtual memory support.  However, it may be extremely slow due
to the large amount of disk swapping it must perform.

All numbers are approximate and may vary widely depending on the
configuration (for example, Windows device drivers chosen, DOS version,
display adapter, etc.).  128K of extended memory is recovered from shadow
RAM usage on COMPAQ 386 machines.  Memory requirements take into account
memory that can be recovered from SMARTDrive (down to the minimum cache
size specified).

--
Jason Merrill					jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

richardh@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Richard Hancock) (02/15/91)