[comp.windows.ms] Win3 benchmarks?

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (02/14/91)

Are there any products that benchmark windows running on various systems?

A co-worker & I both have the same machine type/options, but his is
noticeably faster ...

On a related note ... I have occasionally noticed the system slow down while
running windows (screen-peace's maze looks like it's running on an 8088
instead of a 80386!) ... most noticeable when w4w is in full screen ... thanks

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

rdippold@maui.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (02/16/91)

In article <2355@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:
>Are there any products that benchmark windows running on various systems?

Look for PC Magazine's suite of Win3 benchmarks on a BBS near you...  They're
on quite a few of the San Diego BBSes, so they've probably made their way to
your area.  They do a _very_ thorough test of Windows 3 speed.

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb15.200013.17054@qualcomm.com> rdippold@maui.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) writes:
>Look for PC Magazine's suite of Win3 benchmarks on a BBS near you...  They're
>on quite a few of the San Diego BBSes, so they've probably made their way to
>your area.  They do a _very_ thorough test of Windows 3 speed.

Thanks ... I found them last night on cica ... tried to run them today ... boy
is it excruciatingly slow ! ... unfortunately it has no way (that I saw) to
interrupt the test in progress (so that I could return to real work :-) ).

I'll probably run it over the weekend while I am not here ...

tim@int13.hf.intel.com (Timothy E. Forsyth) (02/16/91)

rdippold@maui.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) writes:

>In article <2355@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:
>>Are there any products that benchmark windows running on various systems?
>>

>Look for PC Magazine's suite of Win3 benchmarks on a BBS near you...  They're
>on quite a few of the San Diego BBSes, so they've probably made their way to
>your area.  They do a _very_ thorough test of Windows 3 speed.

The benchmark program is also on the FTP archive site cica.cica.indiana.com
in the pub/pc/win3/util directory.  The file is benchg11.zip, and is 107909
bytes long.  This zip contains the PC Mag benchmarks for both Windows and
OS/2 Presentation Manager.

--
Tim Forsyth, Intel Corp., Desktop Computer Division, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Internet: tim@int13.intel.com or Tim_Forsyth@ccm.hf.intel.com