[comp.windows.ms] Changing the opening Windows screen

traiger@oxy.edu (Saul Traiger) (02/10/91)

I've downloaded Wingif and converted a bmp file to an rle file. Then
I renamed the rle file vgalogo.rle and placed it in the \windows\system
directory. I thought that would do it, and that subsequently my opening
screen would be my original bmp image. But it isn't! I still get the blue
Windows opening screen. I have noticed that there is also a vgalogo.lgo
file. So my questions are : (1) What is the purpose of vgalogo.rle?
(2) How do I achieve my goal of replacing the opening screen with something
else? (3) Why do people like me get obsessed with details like this which
have nothing to do with the real work they hope to do ever so much more
efficiently than they have in the past now that they have Windows 3?

Saul Traiger
traiger@oxy.edu

altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (02/11/91)

In article <143295@tiger.oxy.edu> traiger@oxy.edu (Saul Traiger) writes:
>I've downloaded Wingif and converted a bmp file to an rle file. Then
>I renamed the rle file vgalogo.rle and placed it in the \windows\system
>directory. I thought that would do it, and that subsequently my opening
>screen would be my original bmp image. But it isn't! I still get the blue
>Windows opening screen. I have noticed that there is also a vgalogo.lgo
>file. So my questions are : (1) What is the purpose of vgalogo.rle?
>(2) How do I achieve my goal of replacing the opening screen with something
>else? (3) Why do people like me get obsessed with details like this which
>have nothing to do with the real work they hope to do ever so much more
>efficiently than they have in the past now that they have Windows 3?

This really should be added to the FAQ.

The reason replacing the vgalogo.rle file does not work is because  the
actual startup screen is compiled into Win.com in the following
manner.

In the system directory there is a file called win.cnf.  This file is
the actual startup program for Windows minus the type of display
and the actual image.

The [cev]galogo.lgo file contains the info for how to display the image
that follows it in the final win.com.

To create your own startup image do the following:

copy win.cnf /B + [vec]galogo.lgo /B + xxxxxx.rle /B win.com

There are some limits on what the RLE file can be.  First of all
it must not be more than 16 colors, and cannot be larger than the
standard resolution of the video mode.  In other words, no SVGA modes.
Also, the entire file must be smaller than 64k.

Good luck.

--
- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

Arthur_Hiscock@kcbbs.gen.nz (Arthur Hiscock) (02/16/91)

Your thoughs are almost right, what you missed was the step where you
change your setup to a different video type (say Herc) then c*hange
back to the correct type and WIN>COM will be recompile (rebuilt is probably
a better word) using your rle file as the opening screen.
Regards ARTHUR H from down under.