[comp.windows.ms] Gateway 2000, Win 3.0, & Excel 2.1C???

todd@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) (02/03/91)

I just received my 33MHz 80386 Gateway 2000 yesterday and started moving my
software from my old AT clone to it today. I've run into a problem with
Microsoft Excel 2.1C (upgrade released in December 1989). The problem is
that Excel locks up right after the startup screen (the empty spreadsheet)
appears in either Windows 3.0 Standard or 386Enchanced mode. It works ok if
I run Windows 3.0 in Real mode. Excel 2.1C ran fine on my old 10MHz 286 in
Windows 3.0 Standard mode. And, I've seen it run on an Acer 1100/25 (25MHz
386) in Standard and 386Enhanced mode, so I suspect the problem lies in the
Gateway itself. Any clues out there? Here is my configuration:

	33MHz 386 Micronics motherboard w/64K cache
	01/15/88 Phoenix BIOS
	4M RAM (PC-Cache 6.0 uses 1M of this as a disk cache)
	4M Permanent swap file

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. This is the only Windows
software that has bombed out so far. Word for Windows 1.1, Adobe Type
Manager, etc. seem to work fine so far (I think).
--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhunix!todd

pschwart@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Paul Schwartz) (02/04/91)

In article <11279@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, todd@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes...

>I just received my 33MHz 80386 Gateway 2000 yesterday and started moving my
>software from my old AT clone to it today. I've run into a problem with
>Microsoft Excel 2.1C (upgrade released in December 1989). The problem is
>that Excel locks up right after the startup screen (the empty spreadsheet)
>appears in either Windows 3.0 Standard or 386Enchanced mode. It works ok if
>I run Windows 3.0 in Real mode. Excel 2.1C ran fine on my old 10MHz 286 in
>Windows 3.0 Standard mode. And, I've seen it run on an Acer 1100/25 (25MHz
>386) in Standard and 386Enhanced mode, so I suspect the problem lies in the
>Gateway itself. Any clues out there? Here is my configuration:

Excel 2.1C was not designed for the 386Enhanced mode(Microsoft breaking THEIR
rules again, sigh).  You need to get 2.1d or 3.0.

    						- Z -

|  PauL M SchwartZ              |                                             |
|  PSCHWART@macc.wisc.edu       |     The cream may rise to the top,          |
|  PSCHWART@wiscmacc.BitNet     |         but the scum settles from above.    |
|  (608)255-5702                |                                             |

hrs1@cbnewsi.att.com (herman.r.silbiger) (02/07/91)

In article <11279@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, todd@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
> I just received my 33MHz 80386 Gateway 2000 yesterday and started moving my
> software from my old AT clone to it today. I've run into a problem with
> Microsoft Excel 2.1C (upgrade released in December 1989). The problem is
> that Excel locks up right after the startup screen (the empty spreadsheet)
> appears in either Windows 3.0 Standard or 386Enchanced mode. It works ok if
> I run Windows 3.0 in Real mode. Excel 2.1C ran fine on my old 10MHz 286 in
> Windows 3.0 Standard mode. And, I've seen it run on an Acer 1100/25 (25MHz
> 386) in Standard and 386Enhanced mode, so I suspect the problem lies in the
> Gateway itself. Any clues out there? Here is my configuration:
>
> 	33MHz 386 Micronics motherboard w/64K cache
> 	01/15/88 Phoenix BIOS
> 	4M RAM (PC-Cache 6.0 uses 1M of this as a disk cache)
> 	4M Permanent swap file

I have the same system as you, but you did not say which disk drive you have.  I
have the 150 Mb ESDI with UltraStor controller, which os a cached controller.
While I did not have the problem you mention with Excel, (I also have 2.1c), I had some problems with a few other programs.  I found out that there is no need
for PC-Cache which I was uasing when you have a cache controller for the hard
disk.  After I removed PC-Cache I had no more problems.  Apperently there is
some contention between the the two caching facilities.

Herman Silbiger

todd@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb7.021757.29391@cbnewsi.att.com> hrs1@cbnewsi.att.com (herman.r.silbiger) writes:
>In article <11279@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, todd@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>> I just received my 33MHz 80386 Gateway 2000 yesterday and started moving my
>> software from my old AT clone to it today. I've run into a problem with
>> Microsoft Excel 2.1C (upgrade released in December 1989). The problem is
>> that Excel locks up right after the startup screen (the empty spreadsheet)
>> appears in either Windows 3.0 Standard or 386Enchanced mode. It works ok if

>I have the same system as you, but you did not say which disk drive you have.  I
>have the 150 Mb ESDI with UltraStor controller, which os a cached controller.

I have a 200MB IDE drive with a Western Digital 64K segmented cache
controller.

>While I did not have the problem you mention with Excel, (I also have 2.1c), I had some problems with a few other programs.  I found out that there is no need
>for PC-Cache which I was uasing when you have a cache controller for the hard
>disk.  After I removed PC-Cache I had no more problems.  Apperently there is
>some contention between the the two caching facilities.

After listening to net-advice from people like you, I too dumped PC-CACHE
6.0 and went back to using SMARTDRV.SYS with Windows 3.0. Since doing so, I
have not experienced any Windows related disk file thrashing.

I have had a few other odd experiences though. Last night I received a "Not
a DOS disk message" while booting. I checked the floppies and they were
empty. Repeated "three-finger-salutes" (Ctrl-Alt-Del) resulted in the same
message. I finally hit the hardware reset button on the front panel and the
boot went smoothly after that.

The only other problems I've noted are:

1. the game QuadVGA will not get past the "mouse" query (yes, I have
   mouse.sys 7.04 loaded properly).
2. Electronic Arts' "Lakers vs. Celtics" sometimes will freeze at the
   start screen.
3. the "lava lamp" graphics program from cica.cica.indiana.edu crashed
   a few times.

On the other hand, Word for Windows 1.1, Excel 2.15c, and ATM 1.0 all
see to work fine now that I have dumped PC-CACHE 6.0.

...todd
--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhunix!todd
BITNET:		todd@uhunix
INTERNET:	todd@uhunix.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU

wolfe@vw.ece.cmu.edu (Andrew Wolfe) (02/17/91)

I was upgraded free to 2.1d when I ordered Windows 3.0 from Microsoft.  Try
calling them.