[comp.windows.ms] General Question Concerning Win3

MJLEPPER@MTUS5.BITNET (02/10/91)

I'm currently experimenting with Win3 on a 12MHz 286 computer with 1 Meg RAM
and a 40 Meg HD.  I've raised a few questions during this time that I can't
figure out.

1 ) While formatting a disk through the file manager, _ALL_ activity stops,
    this also occurs during copies.  Why can't the format become another
    process, or does it really need all that processor time.

2 ) I've experimented with various configurations of HIMEM.SYS and SMARTDRV.SYS
    and have found that I get the most memory available, and the best perform-
    ance if I have HIMEM installed, w/o SMARTDRV.  If I get more memory (2.5 or
    4 Meg ), should I enable the cache?

3 ) Switching between DOS apps and Windows is painfully slow, would this be
    inproved with more RAM, or more free disk space ( I only have 5 Meg free
    on the HD )

I appreciate any information, especially concerning question #1.

Matthew J. Lepper

Internet:
  mjlepper@balance.cs.mtu.edu ( preferred )
  mjlepper@mtus5.cts.mtu.edu

Bitnet:
  mjlepper@mtus5

lhotka@incstar.uucp (02/14/91)

In article <91041.010342MJLEPPER@MTUS5.BITNET>, MJLEPPER@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
> I'm currently experimenting with Win3 on a 12MHz 286 computer with 1 Meg RAM
> and a 40 Meg HD.  I've raised a few questions during this time that I can't
> figure out.
>
> 1 ) While formatting a disk through the file manager, _ALL_ activity stops,
>     this also occurs during copies.  Why can't the format become another
>     process, or does it really need all that processor time.

Windows doesn't get this capability unless you are running with a 386
machine with at least 2 megs of RAM.  On the other hand, I have tried this
on a 25 mhz 386 with 4 megs of RAM and it still locked up the whole
machine...  Not too impressive...  Alternately I got the machine to keep
running, but the format stopped whenever the window was in the
background...

> 2 ) I've experimented with various configurations of HIMEM.SYS and SMARTDRV.SYS
>     and have found that I get the most memory available, and the best perform-
>     ance if I have HIMEM installed, w/o SMARTDRV.  If I get more memory (2.5 or
>     4 Meg ), should I enable the cache?

Good question - I look forward to the answers on this one!  Virtually all
of our machines have at least 2 meg and we leave the cache turned on,
prefering to let Windows install what it feels it needs, but I would be
most interested to hear whether this is a wise move...

> 3 ) Switching between DOS apps and Windows is painfully slow, would this be
>     inproved with more RAM, or more free disk space ( I only have 5 Meg free
>     on the HD )

Virtually all problems with speed can be solved by adding memory.  1 meg is
never enough to be practical for Windows in my experience.  You need at
least 512k extra, more like another meg or two.  Especially if you start
trying to run larger things like W4W you'll find that you need at least
another 512k to make the application run fast enough to be useful.

We have a 286 with only 512k added, but that 512k makes a VERY large
difference in speed - no comparison to a 1 meg machine!!
/ Rockford Lhotka				INCSTAR Corp	       \
| Applications Project Leader			1990 Industrial Blvd   |
| incstar!lhotka@uunet.uu.net         		PO Box 285             |
\ 612/779-1701					Stillwater, MN 55082   /
 -------------Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.--------------

richardh@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Richard Hancock) (02/15/91)

/ hpopd:comp.windows.ms / MJLEPPER@MTUS5.BITNET /  6:03 am  Feb 10, 1991 /

>2 ) I've experimented with various configurations of HIMEM.SYS and SMARTDRV.SYS
>    and have found that I get the most memory available, and the best perform-
>    ance if I have HIMEM installed, w/o SMARTDRV.  If I get more memory (2.5 or
>    4 Meg ), should I enable the cache?

I definitely recommend using SMARTDRV. Just in case you're worried about
"dedicating" memory to disk-caching, SMARTDRV will actually surrender memory to
Windows if Windows is running low.

>3 ) Switching between DOS apps and Windows is painfully slow, would this be
>    inproved with more RAM, or more free disk space ( I only have 5 Meg free
>    on the HD )

Enhanced mode is MUCH better at switching than is Standard mode, ie. buy a 386.

bchin@is-next.umd.edu (Bill Chin) (02/17/91)

>/ hpopd:comp.windows.ms / MJLEPPER@MTUS5.BITNET /  6:03 am  Feb 10, 1991 /
>
>>2) I've experimented with various configurations of HIMEM.SYS and SMARTDRV.SYS
>>   and have found that I get the most memory available, and the best perform-
>>   ance if I have HIMEM installed, w/o SMARTDRV.  If I get more memory (2.5 or
>>   4 Meg ), should I enable the cache?

>I definitely recommend using SMARTDRV. Just in case you're worried about
>"dedicating" memory to disk-caching, SMARTDRV will actually surrender memory to
>Windows if Windows is running low.

SMARTDRIVE won't release memory while Windows is running... The second
parameter to the SMARTDRIVE config.sys line controls how much memory
SMARTDRIVE allocates when Windows executes.  I believe the shareware
program HYPERDISK also supports this.  If you've only got 2mb of RAM,
then I've found that Windows needs the memory much more than the
disk cache.  So at 2mb of below, don't run SMARTDRIVE (be sure
to up your BUFFERS to around 30).

>>3 ) Switching between DOS apps and Windows is painfully slow, would this be
>>    inproved with more RAM, or more free disk space ( I only have 5 Meg free
>>    on the HD )

>Enhanced mode is MUCH better at switching than is Standard mode, ie. buy a 386.

When switching in standard mode, Windows takes an image of your DOS session
(~640k) and writes it to a temporary file.  Adding additional XMS memory
won't help in standard mode DOS app switching.  You may try pointing
the TEMP environment variable to a RAM drive if you've got the extra RAM.
Or a *really* fast HD.  Get a 386(IMHO).  386SX motherboards are ~$425 and
386 motherboards are ~$600.

More memory *will* help Windows apps like WfW or Excel.
--
 Bill Chin                           internet: bchin@is-next.umd.edu
 MS-Windows Programmer                   NeXT: bchin@sinai.umd.edu