[comp.windows.ms] Win 3.0 vs 3.0a

rob@jarthur.claremont.edu (Rob McKaughan) (02/15/91)

I've seen some references to Windows version 3.0a.  What's the differences
between 3.0 and 3.0a?  I assume it's just some bug fixes.

I'm currently running 3.0 (as shown by the "About" in the program manager).

Rob
...!uunet!jarthur!rob
rob@jarthur.claremont.edu

) (02/15/91)

In article <10827@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, rob@jarthur.claremont.edu (Rob McKaughan) writes:
> I've seen some references to Windows version 3.0a.  What's the differences
> between 3.0 and 3.0a?  I assume it's just some bug fixes.
>
> I'm currently running 3.0 (as shown by the "About" in the program manager).
>
> Rob
> ....!uunet!jarthur!rob
> rob@jarthur.claremont.edu
I spoke to Microsoft a few days back and I asked them the same question.  I was
informed that they're some bug fixes.  Since I had not experienced these bugs, I
would not need the new version.  Note: I was not told what the bugs which were
fixed.
| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |

altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (02/18/91)

3.0a fixed some bugs: UAEs in low memory situations when
running with NetBios compatible networks.

A network bug with File Manager that would cause the
Novell network to disconnect.

I have now been using 3.0a for a few months and can't say
that I have noticed much difference.  I have seen a greater
improvement in reliability of Windows since running the
Norton Calibrate on my harddrive.  (* Supposedly there is
a timing problem on 55sx 60meg machines.  This causes an
extra wait state to be added on some disk accesses which
then causes Windows to crash *)

--
- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

dcc@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Daniel Creswell) (02/18/91)

You are correct. We have Windows 3.00a here for its network fixes.

cheers,
	Dan.