[comp.windows.ms] Disappearing memory problem

johnvann@bird.Princeton.EDU (John Daniel Vann) (02/18/91)

	I am running win3 on a zenith 286 with 640K and 256 EMS 4.0 and 4-bit
VGA.  I just downloaded metz-freemem and I find that with some shareware, memory
is allocated and then never re-appears, even when I exit the application.  I assume that this is an allocate/free memory problem within the program, but I was
wondering if there is something I'm doing wrong or whether there is a program out
there that can salvage memory that is not needed anymore.

	Thanks for all responses.
--
John Vann
(johnvann@phoenix.princeton.edu)

oivindt@ulrik.uio.no (Oivind Toien) (02/19/91)

In article <6352@idunno.Princeton.EDU> johnvann@bird.Princeton.EDU (John Daniel Vann) writes:

>	   I am running win3 on a zenith 286 with 640K and 256 EMS 4.0
> and 4-bit VGA.  I just downloaded metz-freemem and I find that with
> some shareware, memory is allocated and then never re-appears, even
> when I exit the application.  I assume that this is an allocate/free
> memory problem within the program, but I was wondering if there is
> something I'm doing wrong or whether there is a program out there that
> can salvage memory that is not needed anymore.

I have seen a program called STATUS.EXE by Kai Uwe Rommel (on Cica I
think). It has a garbage collection procedure. But the amount of
memory indicated (596K with only program manager and a terminal
program loaded) has nothing to do with the 8 MB on my 386 system.

Does anybody out in netland know what memory this program is handling,
and if the garbage-collection works?