[comp.windows.ms] Fonts

cory.mariani@canremote.uucp (CORY MARIANI) (02/22/90)

I have just bought a Commodore PC-40 (AT) and they gave me Windows
286/V2.11 and AMI Word Processor, I also have a Panasonic 24 Pin printer
and I have a question. I have windows setup for EP-2500 (24 pin driver)
and it is setup right and for some reson when I do a essay in AMI and I
print it out, the output is really BAD FOR 24 PIN!. I am not sure if it
is due to the FONTS that come with WINDOWS (NOT MENT FOR 24 PIN
PRINTERS).. It there anyway of getting a better output??? NEW FONTS??
(BUTSTREAM FONTS?)

  Thanks!

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM8
32211 Cory Mariani 11223
TMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM>

---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11 #3313

amf@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Andrew Fountain) (02/26/90)

cory.mariani@canremote.uucp (CORY MARIANI) writes:

>I have just bought a Commodore PC-40 (AT) and they gave me Windows
>286/V2.11 and AMI Word Processor, I also have a Panasonic 24 Pin printer
>and I have a question. I have windows setup for EP-2500 (24 pin driver)
>and it is setup right and for some reson when I do a essay in AMI and I
>print it out, the output is really BAD FOR 24 PIN!. I am not sure if it
>is due to the FONTS that come with WINDOWS (NOT MENT FOR 24 PIN
>PRINTERS).. It there anyway of getting a better output??? NEW FONTS??
>(BUTSTREAM FONTS?)

Yes you are right.  Windows is trying to make 180*180 fonts for your
printer our of the ones it already has.  The VGA screen fonts (suffix E)
have the same aspect ratio (96*96) so you will get reasonable fonts if
Windows uses these.  For example the 24 point and 18 point screen fonts
can be used on the printer at:

24 * 96/180 = 12.8 points  (use 13)
18 * 96/180 = 9.6  points  (use 10)

But if you ask for 12 point, you will get something bad.
The best answer is to use Bitstream to create a proper set. I have done
this with some success. It is also possible to pursuade Bitstream to
create a 180*360 printer font by asking for a CGA screen font at 3.75
the required size (180/48).

Because Bitstream use different names for their fonts, I usually break
them up into .fnt files, re-name them, and then re-build the .fon files.

Microsoft should wake up and supply the right sizes to start with.

amf@ecs.soton.ac.uk                  Andrew Fountain
Tel: +44 703 592831                  Dept of Electronics and Computer Science
Fax: +44 703 593045                  University of Southampton
Telex: 47661 SOTONU G                Southampton  SO9 5NH  England

wallwey@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) (05/06/90)

Well, I just got the latest PC Magazine(May 15, 1990 Vol. 9 Num. 9), and
boy does it have some "Good News".  When I read the Pipeline article on
page 64, I just about hit the ceiling!  I will quote the info here( note
without permision).

TRUETYPE CLAIMS SPEED, POSTSCRIPT CLAIMS IBM

Heavy maneuvers took place in the battle to control PC font standards
recently(see Pipline,November 28,1989).
   Microsoft stepped up the timetable for delivery of its font
technology in OS/2 to later this year and gave it a formal name,
TrueType (it has gone by the code name "Royal" until now).  Microsoft
also promised to include TrueType in future versions of MicroSoft
Windows and said that it expected major software publishers to include
the font manager in DOS character-based programs, too.
   Microsoft is seeking to win over developers by providing results of
its own testing that show TrueType to be far faster thath PostScript.
And Microsoft is trying to convince software developers that writing
interfaces to the TrueType page description language will be easier and
more efficient since TrueType's commands will be accessed from inside
the operating system.  It also maintains that despite Adobe's recent
publication of "The PostScript's specifications," programmers still
cannot access PostScript's proprietary algorithm for font hinting.
   Adobe, meanwhile, convinced IBM to build Display PostScript into the
emerging family of graphical SAA interfaces, including AIX and OS/2
software.  IBM also promised to support TrueType, but only on PS/2s.
   If you find this sorry state of affairs confusing, there some
consolation.  Microsoft says that TrueType will have no problem printing
out to PostScript printers.

		-pg. 64 May 15, 1990 PC MAGAZINE

Sounds like great news, but the big question is HOW LONG BEFORE WINDOWS
HAS IT?????  (also is this article 100% accurate???)

Please comment on what you think to the news group.

spelling, grammer errors > NULL

-Dean wallwey

bpp3560@isc.rit.edu (B.P. Pedranti ) (02/19/91)

      I was wondering if anyone has a program to generate/convert/resize
the fonts that came with Windows 3.0. I have EGA graphics on a 386 and
I want to have a small font for dos windows. Right no I am using one of
the CGA system fonts, but it still is as wide as the screen in 80col.
mode.
      I should mention that the fonst MUST be a fixed width font not the
nice scaleable ones.
     Any help would be appr.
                                           Brian Pedranti
                                           bpp3560@ultb.rit.edu