[comp.windows.ms] Windows and NCSA Telnet

paul@aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Paul Steele) (02/18/91)

I have been trying to NCSA Telnet 2.3b14 running under Windows 3.0 with
marginal success.  If the application is set to exclusive mode using full
screen and never put in the background, it seems to run OK.  However, if
the program is put into the background into to run another program, the
system usually crashes very quickly and very thoroughly. We don't want
to have to quit Telnet everytime since that defeats the purpose of
MS Windows.  Does anyone out there have any experience with this problem
and can offer a solution?  Thanks.

Paul H. Steele    UUCP:     {uunet|watmath|utai}!cs.dal.ca!aucs!Paul
Acadia University BITNET:   Paul@Acadia
Wolfville, NS     Internet: Paul@Ace.AcadiaU.CA (131.162.1.51)
CANADA  B0P 1X0   (902) 542-2201x587
--
Paul H. Steele    UUCP:     {uunet|watmath|utai}!cs.dal.ca!aucs!Paul
Acadia University BITNET:   Paul@Acadia
Wolfville, NS     Internet: Paul@AcadiaU.CA (131.162.1.51)
CANADA  B0P 1X0   (902) 542-2201x587

ssw@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Steve Wallace) (02/19/91)

In <1991Feb18.150343.16694@aucs.AcadiaU.ca> paul@aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Paul Steele) writes:

>I have been trying to NCSA Telnet 2.3b14 running under Windows 3.0 with
>marginal success.  If the application is set to exclusive mode using full
>screen and never put in the background, it seems to run OK.  However, if
>the program is put into the background into to run another program, the
>system usually crashes very quickly and very thoroughly. We don't want
>to have to quit Telnet everytime since that defeats the purpose of
>MS Windows.  Does anyone out there have any experience with this problem
>and can offer a solution?  Thanks.

If you are using the packet drivers, you need to use the -w
windows switch.  It's only available on recent version of the
packet driver (post 7.0 I think).

Steven Wallace
ssw@silver.ucs.indiana.edu