[comp.windows.ms] UNRECOVERABLE APPLICATION ERROR

dchun@aludra.usc.edu (Dale Chun) (08/30/90)

Besides the obvious, does anyone know what an Unrecoverable
Application Error is and what triggers it? Sometimes it pops up
immediately and other times, it takes over 2 hours of Windows 3.0 use
before it appears. Thanks for any input.

					...dale

 name: Dale C. Chun	    | * 2 + 2 = 5, for sufficiently large values of 2.
PLAYMAC Technical Support   | * Hack First, Ask Questions Later.
email: dchun@aludra.usc.edu | * MAC; Maybe A Computer, but probably a toy.

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (08/30/90)

In article <11726@chaph.usc.edu> dchun@aludra.usc.edu (Dale Chun) writes:
>Besides the obvious, does anyone know what an Unrecoverable
>Application Error is and what triggers it? Sometimes it pops up
>immediately and other times, it takes over 2 hours of Windows 3.0 use
>before it appears. Thanks for any input.

Basically, an Unrecoverable Application Error is anything that Windows
doesn't understand.  There is no "set condition" that will cause it to
happen.  With Windows, however, it will usually involve memory referencing/
allocation errors.  Basically, if you have a program that wasn't written
correctly, it might try to reference memory someplace.  Now, if this memory
it tries to reference happens to contain something Windows needs, you'll
get said error. If you're lucky and that application doesn't hit that memory
right off the bat, you can run for a while before it does try to do something
nasty.
--
"What's in a name?  That which we call a rose by any other name would smell
 as sweet."             William Shakespeare

jwas@PacBell.COM (Joe Wasik) (08/30/90)

In article <11726@chaph.usc.edu> dchun@aludra.usc.edu (Dale Chun) writes:
>Besides the obvious, does anyone know what an Unrecoverable
>Application Error is and what triggers it? Sometimes it pops up
>immediately and other times, it takes over 2 hours of Windows 3.0 use
>before it appears. Thanks for any input.

In my case, I get this error when trying to run an application (such as
excel) that was written for Win2.X.  Sometimes I'll get it immediately.
Sometimes much later, but never without first running 2.X ware.

--
Joe Wasik - PacBell, 2600 Camino Ramon, 4e750, San Ramon, CA 94583  415-823-2422
jwas@PacBell.COM or {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyf!jwas

cave@randvax.UUCP (Jonathan Cave) (08/31/90)

One way that works for me :-( is to select text on more than one page when
in WFW page view.

michal@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (09/11/90)

Occassionally I would get an error message in windows
   Unrecoverable Application Error.
   Terminating Current Application.
or
   Application has violated system integrity.
   Terminating ...

 The mouse will go dead, I would have to re-set the system. I have a put
together 386sx with 4mb of memory and  svga trident (platinum) card.
 The only thing that I can do is probably change the .PIF settings.
Would you think that if an application uses himem and you say it does not such
an error could occur ? Or would this point more to a hardware incompatibility?

 Has any one succeeded at using the Trident drivers in 640x480x256 mode ?
I have tried it yesterday but the screen got mangled up. Could it be that the
card needs additional memory ? (I have 256k, not 512k).

-merlin
--
Merlin [The Magician] (AKA Michal Chmielewski)
US Mail: Academic Computing Services, Univ. of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045, USA

tanida@sindre.css.gov (Tom Tanida) (09/12/90)

In article <25516.26ecc3a8@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, michal@kuhub writes:

>Occassionally I would get an error message in windows
>   Unrecoverable Application Error.
>   Terminating Current Application.
>or
>   Application has violated system integrity.
>   Terminating ...
>
> The mouse will go dead, I would have to re-set the system. I have a put
>together 386sx with 4mb of memory and  svga trident (platinum) card.
> The only thing that I can do is probably change the .PIF settings.
>Would you think that if an application uses himem and you say it does not such
>an error could occur ? Or would this point more to a hardware incompatibility?

I might like to know the exact cause myself.  My friend has a 33 Mhz
machine and a fast IDE drive, and he (more often than not)
will get an Unrecoverable Application Error upon starting Windows.
By turning the speed down to 20 Mhz, Windows will *always* work.  The
tech support from Microsoft on this matter leaves much to be desired.
(In fact, I've also had my Microsoft mouse, plugged into my ATI video
card's port) go dead when trying to run DOS apps,
and Microsoft can't explain it- and I *know* I'm not the only one who
has seen either of these problems.

> Has any one succeeded at using the Trident drivers in 640x480x256 mode ?
>I have tried it yesterday but the screen got mangled up. Could it be that the
>card needs additional memory ? (I have 256k, not 512k).

You do need 512K for that mode (multiply 640x480 > 256K).  Of course,
at least you have drivers for your card; I'm still waiting for 256 color
drivers for the ATI!

-Tom

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (09/12/90)

In article <25516.26ecc3a8@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>,
michal@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
merlin>  Has any one succeeded at using the Trident drivers in
merlin> 640x480x256 mode ?  I have tried it yesterday but the screen
merlin> got mangled up. Could it be that the card needs additional
merlin> memory ? (I have 256k, not 512k).

Yup, the 256K can only do 640x400x256 if I remember correctly.

						Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan           woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan@soda.berkeley.edu +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

efowler@milton.u.washington.edu (Eric Fowler) (09/14/90)

Go into your config.sys file, look for "DEVICE=C:\HIMEM.SYS", and make it the
next to last line in the file(the last being SMARTDRIVE). The point is to make
the high memory manager load after all the drivers except smartdrive, which
must have the memory. This special magic elixir from the makers of ToolBook
will cure all sorts of ailments if taken as directed.

=Eric
Asymetrix Technical Support

YTHPRGDB@MTUS5.BITNET (02/20/91)

We're getting a whole lot of these errors when using Word for Windows.
I've upgraded to WFW 1.1, but no help.

Here's what we have:

4 Zenith 386 Computers
Windows 3.0
Word for Windows
Adobe Type Manager
HP LasetJet III w/PostScript

The problem happens on all our computers, and mostly (95%) when changing
fonts or font sizes.  Anyone else have a similar problem?

Help!

Roger Rouse
MTU -- Youth Programs

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (02/20/91)

In article <91050.143605YTHPRGDB@MTUS5.BITNET> YTHPRGDB@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>We're getting a whole lot of these errors when using Word for Windows.
>I've upgraded to WFW 1.1, but no help.
>4 Zenith 386 Computers

You should check that you installed for a Zenith 386 machine.  When you do that,
there is an emmexclude that goes in the [386enh] section of system.ini.  I
know that I've had problems running W4W which got fixed in a related way.  If
you don't have the necessary info, try this (which is major overkill, but will
verify the point)

emmexclude=c000-efff

I've seen people do that as a000-efff as well.  Another way to see if it's this
sort of problem is to see if it also happens in standard mode (win /s).

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com