[comp.windows.ms] system choices

joel@cfctech.cfc.com (Joel Lessenberry) (02/20/91)

	My trusty old xt clone with its 286 accelerator, (which
	used to run win 286 just fine), does not cut it anymore.
	If only I had a little bit of memory right there--->.

	The question I am seeking answers for is, what is the best
	system to run windows 3.0 on at a low cost??

	1. A fast 286 (16 Mhz). I have a 287 from the above
	   accellerator, and could afford a lot of memory.

	2. A 386sx (16 or 20 Mhz?). My coprocessor would not work,
	   and it would be a while  before I could by one. I could afford
	   a decent amount of memory.

	3. A real 386 (25 Mhz). Stretching my budget a bit, pc-brand
	   sells base systems for about $1000. Probably would have to
	   limit the memory I could buy, but I could get at least
	   2 Megs. A long time ago, some of the 386 system boards
	   supported the 287 coproc. Do any of them still??

	You may post or E-mail replies, I will summarize to the net if
	I get enough to warrent.

				joel

 Joel Lessenberry, Distributed Systems | +1 313 948 3342
 joel@cfctech.UUCP                     | Chrysler Financial Corp.
 joel%cfctech.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu | MIS, Technical Services
 {sharkey|mailrus}!cfctech!joel        | 2777 Franklin, Sfld, MI

donnel@helix.nih.gov (Donald A. Lehn) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb20.130139.4506@cfctech.cfc.com> joel@cfctech.cfc.com (Joel Lessenberry) writes:

>	My trusty old xt clone with its 286 accelerator, (which
>	used to run win 286 just fine), does not cut it anymore.
>	If only I had a little bit of memory right there--->.
>
>	The question I am seeking answers for is, what is the best
>	system to run windows 3.0 on at a low cost??
>
>	1. A fast 286 (16 Mhz). I have a 287 from the above
>	   accellerator, and could afford a lot of memory.
>
>	2. A 386sx (16 or 20 Mhz?). My coprocessor would not work,
>	   and it would be a while  before I could by one. I could afford
>	   a decent amount of memory.
>
>	3. A real 386 (25 Mhz). Stretching my budget a bit, pc-brand
>	   sells base systems for about $1000. Probably would have to
>	   limit the memory I could buy, but I could get at least
>	   2 Megs. A long time ago, some of the 386 system boards
>	   supported the 287 coproc. Do any of them still??
>
>	You may post or E-mail replies, I will summarize to the net if
>	I get enough to warrent.
>
>				joel
>

> Joel Lessenberry, Distributed Systems | +1 313 948 3342
> joel@cfctech.UUCP                     | Chrysler Financial Corp.
> joel%cfctech.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu | MIS, Technical Services
> {sharkey|mailrus}!cfctech!joel        | 2777 Franklin, Sfld, MI

To: joel@cfctech.cfc.com
Subject: Re: system choices
Newsgroups: comp.windows.ms
Bcc:

I'm sure that you will get a lot of replies that you should but a 386 or
386sx computer but I'm not sure if this is the best deal avaliable.  If
you don't plan on running multiple concurrent DOS programs then the 386
might be a waste of money at this time.  If you are like me and run mostly
windows applications under windows (Word for Windows, Exel, Pagemaker,
Corel Draw, Crosstalk for Windows .......!! etc....!) then a 286 with
"LOTS" of memory and a "FAST" hard disk will run most applications as
fast as you average mediocre 386sx.  At work I use an IBM Model 80 that
has 2mb Ram, 80mb hard disk and mathcoproccesor.  It actually runs slower
than my own AT (12MHz Norton SI=13.7) with 7mb memory.

It is well accepted that Windows runs windows programs faster if it is
run in standard mode.  Therefore if you plan to run the majority of your
programs in standard mode you should buy a good 286.  (Remember, a 12MHz 286
runs the bus at 12MHz while a 16MHz runs the bus at 8MHz.  Therefore, certain
applications that are "bus intensive" will run faster on the 12MHz than on
the 16MHz.  This includes most disk intensive windows applications.  All 386
boxes run the bus at 8MHz.)

In summary,  for the price of the average 386sx, you can buy a 286 with
"LOTS" of memory.  Since AT motherboards run about $129, it will not be
a major loss if you decide that you need a 386 or 486 in the future.  By
then the prices of 386 and 486 boards will have dropped by that amount so
that your loss of the money you invest in a 286 now will turn out to be
negligable over the long run.  If you do buy a 286 motherboard,  be sure
to buy one that has simms and buy fast simms (at least 80MHz)  that way
you can use this memory on any future motherboard you buy.

I hope this has been helpful.
Best regards,
Don Lehn