[comp.windows.ms] Latest Windows version

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (02/07/91)

I am about to undergo some program development using Windows 3.0 on a 386
machine.  I will be using C6.00....what I am wondering is if there is a
newer version of Windows out there since I have Windows 3.00a and Microsoft
is infamouse for its maintenance releases that don't really count as
upgrades.

Is there a Windows 3.01, 3.00b, 3.00c, etc.?  Do I really need them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

rdippold@qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (02/09/91)

In article <26760@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

>I am about to undergo some program development using Windows 3.0 on a 386
>machine.  I will be using C6.00....what I am wondering is if there is a
>newer version of Windows out there since I have Windows 3.00a and Microsoft
>is infamouse for its maintenance releases that don't really count as

There will be a new version of Windows 3 coming out soon, but it's not here
yet.  What you need to be worried about is the C6.00 which is incredibly
buggy.  If your C6.00 is not C6.00a, make sure you get the upgrade.  There
are about 70 listed bugs with C6.00a (most related to optimization), and
C6.00 is much worse.

bmp@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Brian M. Perkin) (02/11/91)

Microsoft has been shipping Windows 3.0a for about two months now.

It apparently has some bug fixes and newer drivers for some devices.

Personally, I can't see the difference between 3.0 and 3.0a

Brian Perkin

richardh@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Richard Hancock) (02/15/91)

/ hpopd:comp.windows.ms / bmp@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Brian M. Perkin) /  7:19 pm  Feb 10, 1991 /

> Personally, I can't see the difference between 3.0 and 3.0a

You would if you were trying to use network software in Standard mode, as 3.00a
fixes several Standard mode defects.

tinkelman@camb.com (Bob Tinkelman) (02/15/91)

In article <1860004@hp-ptp.HP.COM>, bmp@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Brian M. Perkin) writes:
> Microsoft has been shipping Windows 3.0a for about two months now.
> It apparently has some bug fixes and newer drivers for some devices.
> Personally, I can't see the difference between 3.0 and 3.0a

Adobe told me that 3.00a fixed (presumably amongst other things) some problems
with Adobe Type Manager.
--
Bob Tinkelman, Cambridge Computer Associates, Inc., 212-425-5830, bob@camb.com

ben@bucsf.bu.edu (Benjamin Cline) (02/18/91)

How do we get 3.0a? Is it free or do we have to send MS more money.

	Benjamin
Benjamin Cline                               700 Commonwealth Ave, Box 1087
ben@bucsf.bu.edu                             Boston, MA 02215

richardh@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Richard Hancock) (02/22/91)

/ hpopd:comp.windows.ms / richardh@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Richard Hancock) /  1:18 pm  Feb 15, 1991 /

>> Personally, I can't see the difference between 3.0 and 3.0a

> You would if you were trying to use network software in Standard mode,
> as 3.00a fixes several Standard mode defects.

And the multiple-instance problems in Real mode appear to have been fixed.

Richard.