[comp.windows.ms] Icons in Windows

mburke@eecs.wsu.edu (Matthew Burke - grad student) (02/14/91)

Windows 3.0 came with the used computer I bought.

I have two questions regarding icons.

First:  where do the Icons reside?  In other words, how can I manipulate
them, etc.  I suppose they may be the funky characters in the .grp files
but I'm not sure.

Second:  The Font Item in the Control Panel appears with no Icon.
Is there a way I can find its Icon on the original disks and put it back in
place?

Thanks,
Matt
mburke@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu

%      Matthew M. Burke        mburke@cs2.wsu.edu          %
%   Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?     %

frace@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Roger Frace) (02/14/91)

First of all, the icons for each of those nifty progams
you have lie actually in the programs themselves.  if you
look under "properties" and select "choose icon" the
same filename as the program will appear to be the source
of the icon.  If it has no icon, the generic "dos" icon
appears as default.  ypu can download more icons from
bbs/ftp sites (ex. ICONLIB.EXE).

concerning you missing icon from 'font' in control panel..
what'd you do to it?? it should be 3 "a"s in different colors
and styles...if you somehow got rid of it, i dont know how.
do try checking your "properties" section and see if there
is something labeled for its icon.

nitz.

--

--------skin to skin, lust to lust, ashes to ashes, dust to dust--------
roger c frace

cws9669@isc.rit.edu (C.W. Southern ) (02/14/91)

In article <!V+&A0_@rpi.edu> frace@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Roger Frace) writes:
>First of all, the icons for each of those nifty progams
>you have lie actually in the programs themselves.  if you
>look under "properties" and select "choose icon" the
>same filename as the program will appear to be the source
>of the icon.  If it has no icon, the generic "dos" icon
>appears as default.  ypu can download more icons from
>bbs/ftp sites (ex. ICONLIB.EXE).

How do you make the icons stay?  When you use a program like ICONLIB.EXE,
the icons will only stay around in the Program Manager.  When you load the
program up, the icon will switch back to the good old DOS one.

--
    ______   ______
   /        /_____   Christopher Southern        INTERNET: cws9669@ultb.rit.edu

frace@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Roger Frace) (02/22/91)

>>First of all, the icons for each of those nifty progams
>>you have lie actually in the programs themselves.  if you
>>look under "properties" and select "choose icon" the
>>same filename as the program will appear to be the source
>>of the icon.  If it has no icon, the generic "dos" icon
>>appears as default.  ypu can download more icons from
>>bbs/ftp sites (ex. ICONLIB.EXE).
>
>How do you make the icons stay?  When you use a program like
>ICONLIB.EXE,
>the icons will only stay around in the Program Manager.  When you load
>the
>program up, the icon will switch back to the good old DOS one.

from the 'change icon' option, whree the original .exe name is, usuallt
of the program, remove that name and enter ICONLIB.EXE or something
similar.  then use the 'select' fcn (i think it's called) to switch
through the list of possible icons.  when you get to one you like
say 'ok' and then 'ok' again when you get back to the first
properties screen.  i should change this permanently.  yes, sometimes
i notice when minimized it will go back to the good ol' DOS icon
which is a buumer, but thats only sometimes.
hope this helps.
nitz

--
frace@iear.arts.rpi.edu            don't look at me...i'm clueless!

mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) (02/22/91)

>>How do you make the icons stay?  When you use a program like
>>ICONLIB.EXE,
>>the icons will only stay around in the Program Manager.  When you load
>>the
>>program up, the icon will switch back to the good old DOS one.
>

>properties screen.  i should change this permanently.  yes, sometimes
>i notice when minimized it will go back to the good ol' DOS icon
>which is a buumer, but thats only sometimes.

Wrong! It will *always* go back to the DOS icon. (or to one fixed icon)

Proof:
all DOS old apps that run in a window run in a window class called tty.
Icons are associated with window classes (as opposed to window instances).
When you minimize any window istance, the icon is pulled from its class.
So, one could try and change the icon of *all* DOS old apps by perhaps
modifying the file VDDxGA.DRV (virtual device driver.drv, the dll that
handles old apps). In general, however, it is not possible to modify the
DOS icon displayed when a DOS app is minimized.

So there.

Milan
.

monahan@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil (James Monahan) (02/23/91)

Not quite.  The file called WINOA286.MOD or WINOA386.MOD holds 2 DOS icons.
I used a shareware program called PUTICON.EXE to swap in a c:> icon.
Much nicer than the plain vanilla DOS icon.  There is another program called
IINJECT.EXE that can do the same thing plus it backups the file in case of
a goofup.