[comp.windows.ms] HP LaserJet w/ postscript

lhotka@incstar.uucp (02/14/91)

We are considering getting an HP LaserJet III and a postscript cartridge
for it.  The cost of this combination is lower than many true postscript
printers, so it looks attractive.

Does anyone have any familiarity with this setup?  If so, how well does it
work with Win30 and related applications (Excel, W4W, etc)?

Overall, do people feel that it is better to go with a true postscript
printer, or do these postscript cartridges for HP printers fit the bill?
I'll summarize responses back to the net.  Thanks!
/ Rockford Lhotka				INCSTAR Corp	       \
| Applications Project Leader			1990 Industrial Blvd   |
| incstar!lhotka@uunet.uu.net         		PO Box 285             |
\ 612/779-1701					Stillwater, MN 55082   /
 -------------Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.--------------

shawn@marilyn.UUCP (Shawn P. Stanley) (02/15/91)

In article <2596.27ba5186@incstar.uucp> lhotka@incstar.uucp writes:
>We are considering getting an HP LaserJet III and a postscript cartridge
>for it.

I want to get a postscript cartridge for my HP LaserJet IIP.  Anyone
done this?  (Is there a cartridge for it?)

I got kinda sick of the disk space taken up by all the different font
sizes. :-)
--
Shawn P. Stanley         shawn@marilyn.marilyn.mn.org
tcnet!marilyn!shawn      {rosevax,crash}!orbit!marilyn!shawn

my@berlioz.nsc.com (Michael Yip) (02/16/91)

In article <2596.27ba5186@incstar.uucp> lhotka@incstar.uucp writes:
>We are considering getting an HP LaserJet III and a postscript cartridge
>for it.  The cost of this combination is lower than many true postscript
>printers, so it looks attractive.

Well, the HP Postscript cartridge is a bit more expensive than the
Pacific Page Postscript cartridge.  For $$$ reasons, I suggest you
to use the Pacific Page one.  Actually some dealers offer the PS +
memory upgrade in one low price.

>Does anyone have any familiarity with this setup?  If so, how well does it
>work with Win30 and related applications (Excel, W4W, etc)?
Well, I don't have a laser printer hooked up directly to a PC but
I shared one over the UNIX network.  The Laserjet III is equipped
with a HP Postscript cartridge and it works fine.  Every single
page came out correctly.  We print from both the PCs and the SPARCs
and the contents are usually text in all different fonts and schematics.
But we also print some MS Word, Excel and Designer stuffs and all work
fine.  Just a bit slow for the MS Word output.

>Overall, do people feel that it is better to go with a true postscript
>printer, or do these postscript cartridges for HP printers fit the bill?
>I'll summarize responses back to the net.  Thanks!
Well, if you have more money, buy the "true" PS laser printers.
The one from QMS are pretty good and not too expensive.  Come
to think about it, LJ III + PS cartridge + a lot more memory,
you can probably buy a QMS.  Oh, the IBM one is good also.

> -------------Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.--------------
So you are using MS Window on a PC, huh???

-- Mike
   my@berlioz.nsc.com

chouw@buster.cps.msu.edu (Wen Hwa Chou) (02/24/91)

In article <137@marilyn.UUCP> shawn@marilyn.marilyn.mn.org (Shawn P. Stanley) writes:
>In article <2596.27ba5186@incstar.uucp> lhotka@incstar.uucp writes:
>>We are considering getting an HP LaserJet III and a postscript cartridge
>>for it.
>
>I want to get a postscript cartridge for my HP LaserJet IIP.  Anyone
>done this?  (Is there a cartridge for it?)
>
>I got kinda sick of the disk space taken up by all the different font
>sizes. :-)
>--
>Shawn P. Stanley         shawn@marilyn.marilyn.mn.org
>tcnet!marilyn!shawn      {rosevax,crash}!orbit!marilyn!shawn

I use PacificPage PE on my IIP and it works great!

Comparing with AppleWriter IINTX, the print out quality is not that good
(IIP's problem) but with 2.5 MB memory it can generate more complicate
result than IINTX.  And the installation took me only half an hour.

Wen