[comp.windows.ms] Convert GIF -> BMP ??

winstead@faraday.ECE.CMU.EDU (Charles Holden Winstead) (02/21/91)

Does anyone know of a shareware program that will convert GIF files to BMP
files for use as a windows background?

Thanks.

-Chuck
winstead@faraday.ece.cmu.edu

cs060128@csusac.csus.edu (H. Philip Chen) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb21.154925.9559@fs7.ece.cmu.edu> winstead@faraday.ECE.CMU.EDU (Charles Holden Winstead) writes:
>Does anyone know of a shareware program that will convert GIF files to BMP
>files for use as a windows background?
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think you're asking about the wallpapers, right?

>Thanks.
>-Chuck
>winstead@faraday.ece.cmu.edu

Try gif2bmp.zip by Graham Welland.  You can find it at cica in the
/pub/pc/win3/bmp directory or maybe at your local BBS.  The copy that I have
is dated Sept 89 and it works super.  Gif2bmp will convert 16 colors gif to
16 colors bmp, or 256 gif to 256 bmp.  Be cautious about this...  If your
video driver does not support 256 colors in Windows, all the 256 colors
bmp wallpaper/pictures will look funny.  If you find any wallpaper that
looks like it has been through the washing machine, don't worry -- it's
not a bug.  Select another video mode with 256 colors and the problem
should go away.  Good luck.

-Philip

* I need some new .signature, .disclaimer, and .funnyquote files.
   Which BBS did you get yours from?

equestrn@buhub.bradley.edu (Karen Schafer) (02/22/91)

In <1991Feb21.154925.9559@fs7.ece.cmu.edu> winstead@faraday.ECE.CMU.EDU (Charles Holden Winstead) writes:

>Does anyone know of a shareware program that will convert GIF files to BMP
>files for use as a windows background?

	A good program that will do it is Graphics Workshop.
	It's a shareware program, that converts graphics from one
	to a number of other "formats."  One of which is BMP.

tim@int13.hf.intel.com (Timothy E. Forsyth) (02/23/91)

winstead@faraday.ECE.CMU.EDU (Charles Holden Winstead) writes:

>Does anyone know of a shareware program that will convert GIF files to BMP
>files for use as a windows background?

Try WinGIF v0.90, it is the MOST underrated GIF viewer/converter for Win3.0!
The first time I found it was in the uploads directory of cica, but that
copy disappeared.  Later I got v0.90 from CompuServe and uploaded it to
cica, and it got put in the bmp directory (~/pub/pc/win3/bmp/wingif09.zip).
Someone else uploaded the exact same program as gifview.zip, and it is in
the util directory.

WinGIF has the ability to display GIFs, BMPs, & RLE pictures, it can also
convert to and from these formats.  You can resize and trim the picture, and
dither the picture to 16 colors or 4 level grayscale.  It does some of the
best 16 color dithering from 256 color GIFs that I have ever seen.  Hint,
resize the picture first before dithering for the best results.  This program
is very useful for those running Windows in 800x600x16.  WinGIF also works
fine in 256 colors.

Another good program is Paint Shop (ps112.zip in the util directory).  It
will let your work with 256 color pictures even when you only have a 16 color
windows setup.  I have used the combinations of these two programs to trim
and scale the picture to 400x600x256 in Paint Shop, then dithered the picture
to 16 colors with WinGIF.  The picture by the way is the 25th Anniversary
Swimsuit Issue cover of Kathy Ireland, giving me two side by side pictures
of Kathy as my background.

WinGIF is a great program.  If you haven't tried it yet, Run, don't walk to
your nearest FTP machine and retreive the program from cica.cica.indiana.edu.

Tim Forsyth

--
Tim Forsyth, Intel Corp., Desktop Computer Division, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Internet: tim@int13.intel.com or Tim_Forsyth@ccm.hf.intel.com

steve@cad0 (Stephen Peter) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb22.172914.6282@int13.hf.intel.com> tim@int13.hf.intel.com (Timothy E. Forsyth) writes:
>WinGIF has the ability to display GIFs, BMPs, & RLE pictures, it can also
                                                 ^^^
Does anyone know what type of RLE files WinGIF displays. Specifically are
they Utah RLE files (using the Utah Raster Toolkit) ?

>Tim Forsyth

Stephen Peter                                steve@cad0.arch.unsw.oz.au
School of Architecture                   or  steve@keystone.arch.unsw.oz.au
University of New South Wales
Australia

RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET (Aengus Lawlor) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb21.203637.13252@csusac.csus.edu>, cs060128@csusac.csus.edu
(H. Philip Chen) says:

>In article <1991Feb21.154925.9559@fs7.ece.cmu.edu>
>winstead@faraday.ECE.CMU.EDU
>(Charles Holden Winstead) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a shareware program that will convert GIF files to BMP
>>files for use as a windows background?
>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Try gif2bmp.zip by Graham Welland.  You can find it at cica in the
>/pub/pc/win3/bmp directory or maybe at your local BBS.  The copy that I have
>is dated Sept 89 and it works super.  Gif2bmp will convert 16 colors gif to
>16 colors bmp, or 256 gif to 256 bmp.  Be cautious about this...  If your
>video driver does not support 256 colors in Windows, all the 256 colors
>bmp wallpaper/pictures will look funny.  If you find any wallpaper that
>looks like it has been through the washing machine, don't worry -- it's
>not a bug.  Select another video mode with 256 colors and the problem
>should go away.  Good luck.

If you want to use a 256 colour .GIF, and you only have a 16 colour driver for
Windows, GIF2BMP will give pretty icky results. WINGIF gives similiar results
at first, but offers a dithering option that produces a passable reproduction.
Load your GIF, dither it, and save as a bmp (RGB?)

Enjoy!
--
RBYAML@ROHMHAAS.COM                    Aengus Lawlor
RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET                   (who used to be ALAWLOR@DIT.IE)