[comp.windows.ms] Does WnQVTnet include a news reader?

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (02/25/91)

In article <TARJEIJ.91Feb25131412@ulrik.uio.no> tarjeij@ulrik.uio.no (Tarjei Jensen) writes:
>Winqvtnet v 1.5 is available at cica.cica.indiana.edu in a directory below
>/pub/pc/win3. I found it in the uploads directory, but I expect it to be moved
>to another directory soon. For those who have problems with getting in contact
>with the local nntp server, try the ip address in quotes ("012.345.678.9").
>Winqvtnet seems to have problems with version 8 of the packet drivers.
>
>This was posted due to problems with mail.
>
>// Tarjei T. Jensen
>      tarjeij@ulrik.uio.no

I tried this program asn as far as I can tell, it only works on our local
network - it won't go past the gateway. Anybody have any help??

Doug McDonald

In article <1991Feb25.153733.12869@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:

>In article <TARJEIJ.91Feb25131412@ulrik.uio.no> tarjeij@ulrik.uio.no (Tarjei Jensen) writes:
>>Winqvtnet v 1.5 is available at cica.cica.indiana.edu in a directory below
>

>I tried this program asn as far as I can tell, it only works on our local
>network - it won't go past the gateway. Anybody have any help??

I got it working --- the "subnet mask" is apparently NOT optional.

In any case, now that it works, a review:  The News reader needs some
user interface work.  It needs keyboard equivalents for mouse actions
(ALL Windows programs are supposed to work without a mouse at all)
and it should be changed so that you can read an article and the next ones
without having toi move the mouse all over the menu bar. In other words,
after selecting the header of an article you should either not have to move the
mouse at all, just click again, or at most move to the adjacent button.

But it is a good start.

Doug McDonald

dre@sequoia.cray.com (Dennis Ellis) (02/26/91)

>In any case, now that it works, a review:  The News reader needs some
>user interface work.  It needs keyboard equivalents for mouse actions
>(ALL Windows programs are supposed to work without a mouse at all)
>and it should be changed so that you can read an article and the next ones
>without having toi move the mouse all over the menu bar. In other words,
>after selecting the header of an article you should either not have to move the
>mouse at all, just click again, or at most move to the adjacent button.
>
>But it is a good start.

I agree!!

  The thing I would like to see added is another window with the subjects
so I could scan them for arts of interest and then easily 'c' the group
if I found nothing.

  Or am I missing something??

  I like the way 'winvn' works (when it works which is not often).

* Dennis Ellis (dre@sequoia.cray.com) *                                       *
* Cray Research, Inc.                 *                                       *
* Eagan, MN 55378                     * All the normal stuff about opinions.. *