[comp.windows.ms] The Working

jlu@cs.umr.edu (Jui-lin Lu) (02/24/91)

Greeting *,

I downloaded the working model of Excel and Power Point from cica;
unfortunately, I had no luck to run it.

o Excel: I can run thru demo.exe.  But after that, setup stop. (I assume
         that's because I have win3 installed.  When I tried to run
         Excel (either from plain DOS or Window), excel responded
         "Insufficient Memory".

o Power Point: No demo.exe this time.  But I got all the same things as
               Excel.

Has anyone out there successfully run these demo programs?  Did I do something
wrong?  Any help is appreciated. (No setup doc, readme.txt, came with
Power Point)  My HW/SW configuration are provided below:

o SW: Win3 running 386 Enhance mode.  Win3 showed that I have 85% free resource
      and over 4MB ram (virtual).

o HW: 20 MHz 386AT with 2MB.

--
***************************************---         student    		---*
* Obviousness is always the enemy of  *   \        Eric J. Lu          /   *

neil@doc.ksu.ksu.edu (Neil Erdwien) (02/26/91)

In article <2243@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> jlu@cs.umr.edu (Jui-lin Lu) writes:
>I downloaded the working model of Excel and Power Point from cica;
>unfortunately, I had no luck to run it.
>
>  etc.....

I uploaded the Excel demo, but didn't add a document on how to use it.  There
are three files.  Each should be unzipped onto a separate disk -- 1.2 or 1.4MB.
Then place the first disk into the A: drive and enter A: followed by SETUP.

If you don't have Windows 3.0 installed, it will load enough to get Excel running.
If you do have Windows 3.0 installed, it will not load the mini-Windows included on
the disks.

--
Neil Erdwien
Kansas State University

nak@cbnews.att.com (Neil A. Kirby) (02/26/91)

I installed the thing and it screwed with my windows layouts and defaults
and such.  It really pissed me off at the time to find the location,
spacing, etc of my icons and windows to be set to something else.

Neil Kirby

burgoyne@eng.umd.edu (John R. Burgoyne) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb26.135901.21517@cbnews.att.com> nak@cbnews.att.com (Neil A. Kirby) writes:
>I installed the thing and it screwed with my windows layouts and defaults
>and such.  It really pissed me off at the time to find the location,
>spacing, etc of my icons and windows to be set to something else.
>
>Neil Kirby

So you had to resort to your backup, eh?

Robert