[net.auto] Factory vs. Dealer AC

mayer@rochester.UUCP (01/16/85)

From: Jim Mayer  <mayer>

I would like to find out about the differences between factory and
dealer installed air conditioning.  I am particularly interested in
knowing how that difference would effect a small car like a Ford
Escort.  What I have found out so far is:

	o On a large car factory installed air conditioning works better.
	o On the Escort, the dealer replaces the heater with a Ford
	  supplied integrated heater/conditioner box.

The dealer admitted that dealer conditioning doesn't work as well in
large cars, but claimed that they were practically the same for a car
the size of the Escort.  Does anyone out there have experience with
this kind of thing?

-- Jim Mayer					Computer Science Department
(arpa) mayer@Rochester.ARPA			University of Rochester
(uucp) rochester!mayer				Rochester, New York 14627

mlf@panda.UUCP (Matt L. Fichtenbaum) (01/17/85)

>I would like to find out about the differences between factory and
>dealer installed air conditioning.

   I bought my '83 Dodge Aries (K-car) from dealer stock.  The dealer
stated that he could install "the very same factory unit" that a
factory AC'd car would have had.

   It was *almost* the very same unit.  Actually, it was the same unit
as in a 1982 model!  This meant it lacked the "bi-level" mode (cold to
the dash, warm to the floor) that was new for '83, it didn't have the
switch to shut off the compressor when one puts the gas pedal to the
floor (to take the load off the engine), and its wiring didn't match
the diagrams in my '83 shop manual.

   I griped about the bi-level feature.  Six months later, they
retrofitted a few parts and made it right.

   A colleague had the "factory-installed" rear window defroster added
to his off-the-lot 1984 K-car.  It's not as effective as the real
factory-installed one.

   Conclusion:  My A/C is the right unit for the car, does all that it
should, works fine.  But I'd rather have bought the car with the
factory-installed one.  If you're going to have the dealer install
some "factory" option, get the promises in writing!

--

					Matt Fichtenbaum
					"Our job is to rescue fires,