[comp.windows.ms] Windows image grabber

mcorlett@ibmpcug.co.uk (M A Corlett) (02/18/91)

Dear All,

Does anybody know of a tool which allows me to grab images of entire windows
from the desktop, so I can paste them into documents? Something like Zoomin,
but with an Edit menu.

Thanks.

Mike Corlett
mcorlett@ibmpcug.co.uk
--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not

mcl9337@aim1.tamu.edu (MARK CHRISTOPHER LOWE) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb18.133945.1293@ibmpcug.co.uk> mcorlett@ibmpcug.co.uk (M A Corlett) writes:
>Does anybody know of a tool which allows me to grab images of entire windows
>from the desktop, so I can paste them into documents? Something like Zoomin,
>but with an Edit menu.

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but I was quite surprised a few days ago
to find out that if you hit PrintScrn from inside Windows, an image of the
current screen will be placed in the Clipboard.  From there, you can paste it
into Paintbrush or some other utility and butcher it to your heart's content.

Enjoy...

Mark C. "Bro!" Lowe - KB5III

jackz@izuba.ee.lbl.gov (Jack Zelver) (02/22/91)

In article <12811@arctic.nprdc.navy.mil> jones@nprdc.navy.mil (David Ryan-Jones) writes:

>I have tried this method for "capturing" the image in a window.  While the
>window is placed into clipboard, the only portion of the window that can be
>placed into Paintbrush is the portion that is visible on the screen in
>clipboard.  This is often much less than the entire image.  However, the image
>can be completely saved to a file from the clipboard.  It would be much more
>useful if the entire image could be transferred to a Paintbrush-like program.
>The Win 3 manual does mention this problem of partial transfer from the
>clipboard to other windows programs.
>
>David Ryan-Jones

Re - your post on pasting into paintbrush:  Try zooming out BEFORE you
paste. Then paste, and click on another tool to fix the incoming window's
position before you zoom back.  You also need to make sure you have the
default settings for paintbrush to 640x480, color, (whatever your screen
size is) or you only get part of the clipboard.  I have an 1024x768
screen and manage regularly to paste the ENTIRE screen into paintbrush
with this method.

I find it best to be cautious about absolute statements like the ones you
posted saying what can and can't be done... someone always seems to find a
way to prove me wrong (and you too, in this one case).  ;-)

Jack Zelver
jszelver@lbl.gov

jme@Pacer.UUCP (John Eikanger) (02/25/91)

In article <12337@helios.TAMU.EDU> mcl9337@aim1.tamu.edu (MARK CHRISTOPHER LOWE) writes:

>I'm not sure if you know this or not, but I was quite surprised a few days ago
>to find out that if you hit PrintScrn from inside Windows, an image of the
>current screen will be placed in the Clipboard.  From there, you can paste it
>into Paintbrush or some other utility and butcher it to your heart's content.
>
>Enjoy...
>
>Mark C. "Bro!" Lowe - KB5III

This is quite true, but Paint clips the screen image you bring in from the
clipboard. You can reduce this problem by suppressing the icons and pallet, and
by zooming out, but the clipping still occurs. Does anyone know how to eliminate
the clipping, or is there another package that does the job properly? We'll be
needing the capability in a few months when we put together the docs for our
application.

John Eikanger - A former Boeing Employee and proud of it

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (02/27/91)

Yes Paint clips the image, but you can get around that too. Zoom out
first and then paste. This will let you paste the whole thing.

regoli@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (02/27/91)

CHRISTOPHER LOWE) writes:

  I'm not sure if you know this or not, but I was quite surprised a
  few days ago to find out that if you hit PrintScrn from inside
  Windows, an image of the current screen will be placed in the
  Clipboard.  From there, you can paste it into Paintbrush or some
  other utility and butcher it to your heart's content.

Indeed.  However, does anyone know why Windows refuses to copy high
bits when in a DOS session (full screen)?  In other words, characters
such as ASCII 176 through 223 don't get transferred to the clipboard.
I'm writing a software manual and I'd like to take some screen shots
of the software that's running in text-mode.  (I'd use WordPerfect's
GRAB utility, but I'm not in graphics mode.)

--

michael regoli
regoli@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu