[comp.windows.ms] An upsetting experience

cs060128@csusac.csus.edu (H2 Philip Chen) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.155019.5929@linus.mitre.org> dhf@tatum.mitre.org (David H. Friedman) writes:
> [...]
>"EXEC Error" message box? Clicked on "OK" to get rid of the message, and
>CmdPost seems to be OK, but is it really OK? At this point I gave up and
>went to bed, not having checked the applications that were moved.
>   After a not-very-good night's sleep, I realize that the worst that can
>happen is that I'll have to wipe the disk clean and re-install Windows and
>the applications from the distribution diskettes, just so I can be sure
>everything is properly initialized. I never did a complete disk backup, but
>I have copies of all the pertinent files, so at worst it'll just be a few
>evenings' work. Still, the whole experience has been very unsettling, and
>it's still not resolved.
>   At the heart of it, as far as I'm concerned, is that Windows SETUP is
>not very clear about whether it knows that I don't want to do a complete
>re-installation, but only to replace a driver. It starts, as I said, by
>asking what directory I want to install into. If I answer and proceed, then
>it's not clear when I should stop and exit to avoid going into the complete
>installation process. If it started with a message like..
>
>       To install Windows, press RETURN.
>       If you only want to change your configuration, update
>       or replace a driver, etc., press F6 (or whatever).
>
>then there'd be no problem. I looked at Appendix A of the Microsoft Win3
>User's Guide, which talks about using SETUP to replace drivers, but found
>nothing useful. Has anyone else had this experience with SETUP? If anyone
>at Microsoft is reading this, please take note.
>   I might mention the PC Magazine DOS utility DIRMATCH, which I found very
>helpful in comparing the old and new directories in order to move files.
>DIRMATCH displays both directories side-by-side, with corresponding files
>on the same line, the more recent version highlighted, and allows you to
>move or copy individual files from one directory to the other. Also, I
>realized it would be very useful to be able to do the same with *.INI
>files, using a side-by-side text editor to compare versions and copy
>individual lines. I don't know of such a utility, but it would be a great
>thing to write, and maybe a good excuse to learn 8086 assembly language.
>(PC Magazine guys, how about it?)
>   Finally, one thing I now wish I had done is keep a log, on PAPER, of
>all the customizing changes I made during and after installation of my
>original Win3 and the applications, so I could go through exactly the
>same steps in the event of a complete re-installation. Half the stuff
>in my WIN.INI makes no sense to me now.
>   Anyway, I hope I'm not boring anyone with all this detail (and I might
>add, the trouble didn't happen because I'm new to this, I've been working
>with computers of various kinds for 30 years) - I'm still not wide awake,
>and anyway it's been very therapeutic getting all this out. I actually
>think my hands are steady enough now that I can get back to work.

Dave, sorry to hear about what you went through.  There is a way load new
video drivers without having to reload the whole Windows package :

First, exit Windows and get into the DOS command line mode, i.e. you'll see
that C:\> thing.  Next, change the directory to where your Windows is located,
i.e. "cd\windows" or "cd\w3" or something similar.  Then run "SETUP" and
Windows will give you a configuration menu where you can change the
video, keyboard, network, and etc drivers.

                 give you the re-configuration menu that you're looking for.
           2)  If you're NOT in the actual Windows directory, (i.e. you're in
                 the root or some other directory), then SETUP will think
                 that you'll want to install Windows all over again.
                 (So readers, please be cautious about this.)

Bye!

-Philip

* I need some new .signature, .disclaimer, and .funnyquote files.
   Which BBS did you get yours from?

In article <1991Feb26.220640.6763@csusac.csus.edu> cs060128@csusac.csus.edu (H2 Philip Chen) writes:
>In article <1991Feb26.155019.5929@linus.mitre.org> dhf@tatum.mitre.org (David H. Friedman) writes:
>> [stuff by Dave deleted]

>  [stuff by me deleted]

Oops!  I guess you've got the answer already.  I must have logged on a few hours
too late.  Computer technology...  Isn't it wonderfully fast?