[comp.windows.ms] FTP creates 0 length files on PC in WinQVT 1.5

grantk@manta.NOSC.MIL (Kelly J. Grant) (02/27/91)

We just upgraded several machines to Version 1.5 of WinQVT.  We love the
scroll bars, and the rcp server, and the new look and feel of the program.

Unfortunately, we are having a few problems.  Whenever we FTP a file from
the UNIX system to the pc using the FTP service, the file is opened, but
contains 0 bytes.  This happens when we are in a Telnet session, and type
"ftp <pcname>", log in to the PC, and then transfer a file.  We have been
using this procedure since we had the older versions of WinQVT, so it
should work.

Also, our news server will not talk to us.  I am sometimes able to get the
list of newsgroups, but am unable to read news.  When I start the news reader,
it tells me the machine it is connecting to, and then informs me the remote
machine has closed the connection.

Has anyone else had these problems ?  I am using version 7.something of
the WD8003E packet driver if that is important, and am running in 386
enhanced mode on a Z300 with 4mb of RAM, DOS version 3.21.  I am also
wearing a red shirt :-)

Thanks in advance for your help

Kelly
--
Kelly Grant        grantk@manta.nosc.mil   (619) 225-2508
Computer Sciences Corp          ^^^^^^^^ Important: manta.UUCP won't get to me

bchin@is-next.umd.edu (Bill Chin) (02/28/91)

In article <1792@manta.NOSC.MIL> grantk@manta.NOSC.MIL (Kelly J. Grant) writes:
>We just upgraded several machines to Version 1.5 of WinQVT.  We love the
>scroll bars, and the rcp server, and the new look and feel of the program.
>
>Unfortunately, we are having a few problems.  Whenever we FTP a file from
>the UNIX system to the pc using the FTP service, the file is opened, but
>contains 0 bytes.  This happens when we are in a Telnet session, and type
>"ftp <pcname>", log in to the PC, and then transfer a file.  We have been
>using this procedure since we had the older versions of WinQVT, so it
>should work.

[NNTP problem deleted]

>Has anyone else had these problems ?  I am using version 7.something of
>the WD8003E packet driver if that is important, and am running in 386
>enhanced mode on a Z300 with 4mb of RAM, DOS version 3.21.  I am also
>wearing a red shirt :-)
>
>Thanks in advance for your help
>
>Kelly

I also have that UNIX->PC FTP problem... I'm using v.8 of the Clarkson
packet drivers on a PS/2 Model 80 w/ 3c523 card.

I also get Packet Driver Error: 8 (SetRcvMode) MessageBox when
I start up WinQVTnet.  It doesn't seem to affect operation, tho.

The third, and most critical problem is that it won't work
in debug mode...  As a developer, I operate in debug mode
almose exclusively, and WinQVT causes the debugging kernel
to "trip" out to my AUX monitor ...  complaining about
an "Window handle not valid" (type 0x0007).  It seems this handle
is used *all* the time, 'cause pressing ignore just brings up
more of the same.  Ugh!!

I'd love to register, but until it will work in debug mode,
I'm stuck with using MD-DOS/IP (DOS).  It seems this program was
not developed in with a debugging kernel... :-(

Anyone at QPC care to comment/respond?

--
 Bill Chin                    NeXT & internet: bchin@is-next.umd.edu
 MS-Windows Programmer             CompuServe: 74130,2714