[comp.windows.ms] WIN.INI ?

kc2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kwan-Ju Chen) (02/26/91)

When I add the following command to Win 3.0

load=C:\windows\winclock.exe-----------a clock program
run=C:\windows\saver.exe----------------a screen saver program

everything works fine.  But very time I start the Window the
"Program Manager" appears as an icon.  How can I correct this problem so
that everytime I start Win3  it will not appear as an icon?

Thanks alot!

gregf@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Greg Farrell) (02/27/91)

iIn comp.windows.ms, kc2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kwan-Ju Chen) writes:

> When I add the following command to Win 3.0

> load=C:\windows\winclock.exe-----------a clock program
> run=C:\windows\saver.exe----------------a screen saver program

> everything works fine.  But very time I start the Window the
> "Program Manager" appears as an icon.  How can I correct this problem so
> that everytime I start Win3  it will not appear as an icon?

> Thanks alot!

I think the problem might be the screen saver program.  I had the same
problem with Magic.  As soon as I removed the screen saver, Progman would come
up as a window.  I now use Afterdark which doesn't cause any problem.
I could be wrong though.  Try removing it for a test.

petera@geriatrix.cs.uoregon.edu (Peter Adamson) (02/28/91)

There have been a few posts recently complaining that setting
up applications to run at load time with the run= and load=
caused Progam Manager to start up initialized.

THIS ANNOYANCE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WIN.INI !!!

This is simply Perogram Manager reacting to how it has
been configured by the user.

The Program Manager has an options setting to iconize itself
when programs are launched.  The run= and load= are considered
launches from PM so its iconizing itself after launching the apps.
Not that I approve of this feature...but thats the way it works.

To stop this "problem" either set PM to not iconize on run from
the menu option (and save settings on Windows exit) Or, to maintain
the desired iconization during normal operation of PM, obtain
one of the programs from cica which launch applications independently
from the PM.

  __ _  _   |  Peter Adamson			(petera@cs.uoregon.edu)
 /_/(  /_|  |  Univ of Oregon
/   _)/  |  |  "They don't know what they don't know..." - unknown

dcrowley@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (David Crowley) (02/28/91)

In comp.windows.ms, kc2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kwan-Ju Chen) writes:

> When I add the following command to Win 3.0
> load=C:\windows\winclock.exe-----------a clock program
> run=C:\windows\saver.exe----------------a screen saver program
> everything works fine.  But very time I start the Window the
> "Program Manager" appears as an icon.  How can I correct this problem so
> that everytime I start Win3  it will not appear as an icon?

	Question: why put saver on the run= line? I put it on the load=
		  line and it works fine.
	    Remember this: things put on the load= line are loaded into
		memory, and under win3 that means that it is also running.
		Just because it is iconised doesn't mean that it
		is not running. Hope that helps, it helped me :-]

							David...

--
-----------------=\|/= = = = = Don't blow up, it's more fun to implode ! = = =
  David Crowley  --@--  Database Programmer, Macquarie University, Australia