[comp.windows.ms] ATI 800x600 Driver Problem

andrzej@bigsur.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) (02/28/91)

I have an ATI VGA Wonder 512 (with 386/25, 4MB, Windows 3, DOS 4.0).
I run it in 800x600 mode.

The size of the screen in DOS is fine, so it is when the Window's
banner is displayed. When Windows are actually displayed, the screen
becomes squeezed (horizontaly). It is not a big problem as long as
I do not use any drawing programs. Unfortunately I have to use them,
and if I do, for example circles from my screen are printed as
ellipses. I have to manually adjust the size of the pictures (in WfW)
after printing them first. It is, of course, a major drawback.

I have tried to change that by using a hidden feature:

	VSETUP ADJSIZE 800 1

but it will not resize to the extent which I want.

The question is: did any of you have similar problem and managed to
solve it?

I have drivers dated around October 1990. Will a newer version help?

Thanks for any suggestions,

	Andrzej

Andrzej Bieszczad                     | Phone:  (613) 763-2259
Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.          | Fax:    (613) 763-3283
Dept. 7G12, P.O. Box 3511, Station C, | USENET: uunet!bnrgate!eh!andrzej
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7      | BitNet: andrzej@BNR.CA

) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb27.162655.2796@bigsur.uucp>, andrzej@bigsur.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) writes:
> I have drivers dated around October 1990. Will a newer version help?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
>
> 	Andrzej
>

> --
> Andrzej Bieszczad                     | Phone:  (613) 763-2259
> Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.          | Fax:    (613) 763-3283
> Dept. 7G12, P.O. Box 3511, Station C, | USENET: uunet!bnrgate!eh!andrzej
> Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7      | BitNet: andrzej@BNR.CA
The latest version is November 1990.
| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |

dmatlock@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Delbert Matlock) (02/28/91)

andrzej@bigsur.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) writes:

>I have an ATI VGA Wonder 512 (with 386/25, 4MB, Windows 3, DOS 4.0).
>I run it in 800x600 mode.

>The size of the screen in DOS is fine, so it is when the Window's
>banner is displayed. When Windows are actually displayed, the screen
>becomes squeezed (horizontaly). It is not a big problem as long as

You probably have a monitor that has to run in "interlaced" mode when
it goes to 800x600 resolution.  I'm not sure technicaly what this does,
but it always compresses the screen somewhat.  I am also using an ATI
VGA Wonder 512, but I'm lucky enough to have a monitor that runs in
"non-interlaced" mode at 800x600.  But, if I go to 1024x768 I get the
same compression problem you described.  So, it looks like money is
the only cure to your problem.

Delbert Matlock                         Internet:  dmatlock@eecs.cs.pdx.edu
MicroNet Northwest
Voice:  (503)228-3071