[comp.windows.ms] Delete in File Manager + other things

hadgraft@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Hadgraft) (02/26/91)

> I figured something was wrong, and tried to find out why.
> Well, I figured that windows rereads the directory and redraws the directory
> on the screen after every deletion. This increases the running time to
> O(!n).
>
> My only question is isn't this kind of stupid??  and is Microsoft aware of
> it? and is there anyway around it besides not using Windows File Manager for
> deleting?

Sure is. Most of us have had the same experience at some time. Perhaps we should
petition MS to sort out File Manager before version 3.1. Can I add the following
requests:

1. Do not delete directory windows just because there are no files in the
directory.

2. Can we have multiple directory tree windows (one for C:, one for D:, one for
A: etc).

3. How about a "Printer Setup" option. (This would be a lot easier than starting
up Control Panel).
  |  Roger Hadgraft                 +----------------------------------+
  |  Senior Lecturer                |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au   |
  |  Dept of Civil Engineering      |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983          |
  |  Monash University              |  fax:    +61 3 565 4944 or 3409  |

keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) (02/26/91)

hadgraft@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Hadgraft) writes:

> Perhaps we should petition MS to sort out File Manager before version 3.1.
> Can I add the following requests:

> 1. Do not delete directory windows just because there are no files in the
>    directory.

> 2. Can we have multiple directory tree windows (one for C:, one for D:, one
>    for A: etc).

> 3. How about a "Printer Setup" option. (This would be a lot easier than
>    starting up Control Panel).

  4. Ability to print out partial/full directory trees, not just contents of
     individual directories.

John Keating
--
    +-------------------------------+      +---------------------------+
    | Support the Coalition troops! |      | keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu |
| "My heart is stone and still it trembles +---------------------------+-+
|  The world I have known is lost in shadow." |  | "If you were right,   |
+---------------------------------------------+  |  I'd agree with you!" |
                                                 +-----------------------+

uchuck@pelham.med.unc.edu (Charles Bennett) (02/27/91)

In article <6326@rex.cs.tulane.edu> keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) writes:
>hadgraft@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Hadgraft) writes:
>
>> Perhaps we should petition MS to sort out File Manager before version 3.1.
>> Can I add the following requests:
>
>> 1. Do not delete directory windows just because there are no files in the
>>    directory.
>
>> 2. Can we have multiple directory tree windows (one for C:, one for D:, one
>>    for A: etc).
>
>> 3. How about a "Printer Setup" option. (This would be a lot easier than
>>    starting up Control Panel).
>
>  4. Ability to print out partial/full directory trees, not just contents of
>     individual directories.

   5. Ability to rename directories a la DOS 4.0 Shell and X-Tree.

  Chuck Bennett                               INTERNET: uchuck@med.unc.edu
  Medical Sciences Teaching Labs              BITNET:   uchuck@unc
  CB# 7520  University of NC                  PHONE:    919-966-1134(w)
  Chapel Hill, NC  27599-7520

rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) (02/27/91)

uchuck@pelham.med.unc.edu (Charles Bennett) writes:

>In article <6326@rex.cs.tulane.edu> keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) writes:
>>hadgraft@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Hadgraft) writes:
>>
>>> Perhaps we should petition MS to sort out File Manager before version 3.1.

If you look at the 25 Feb PCWeek, they have a picture of the 3.1 File
Manager.  It has a tree-next-to-the-directory kind of appearance.  The
menu bar looks pretty much the same as the 3.0 FM.  I am sure there are
a lot of features they could add (see below).  The problem is that 3.1
may not come out until 1992 (due to TrueType problems).  I can't
wait that long!

I propose that MS release a new FM for 3.0 users for a nominal cost, say
$10.  I submit that it should be minimal cost because the current FM is
a *BUG*.  If 3.0 users have to wait a year to get a worthwhile FM, we
may just need to go elsewhere for a solution (by why should we even need
to???).

I think the features below and any others to be added can be addressed
by this recommendation; make the FM as much like the Norton Commander
as possible.

>>> Can I add the following requests:
>>
>>> 1. Do not delete directory windows just because there are no files in the
>>>    directory.
>>
>>> 2. Can we have multiple directory tree windows (one for C:, one for D:, one
>>>    for A: etc).
>>
>>> 3. How about a "Printer Setup" option. (This would be a lot easier than
>>>    starting up Control Panel).
>>
>>  4. Ability to print out partial/full directory trees, not just contents of
>>     individual directories.

>   5. Ability to rename directories a la DOS 4.0 Shell and X-Tree.

    6. A "DOS Command line" at the bottom of the window where I can
       type most any valid DOS command start an application.  If the
       command generates output open a window to take care of it.

    7. Some buttons across the top (a la Excel 3.0) that would let us
       do things like delete, copy, rename, etc without having to pull
       down a menu *and* deal with a dialog box.

    8. Option for an "expert" mode where it doesn't ask you 2-3 times
       for confirmation if I want to delete or move a file.  If I
       select 5 files and press the Delete button, trash the suckers!
       I can deal with the consequences later.  (i.e., don't assume
       I am a fool)

Robert
--
| Robert L. Howard             |    Georgia Tech Research Institute     |
| rhoward@msd.gatech.edu       |    MATD Laboratory                     |

d89os@efd.lth.se ((Mr)) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb26.084442.86366@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au> hadgraft@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Hadgraft) writes:
>> I figured something was wrong, and tried to find out why.
>> Well, I figured that windows rereads the directory and redraws the directory
>> on the screen after every deletion. This increases the running time to
>> O(!n).
Yeah, abnormally stupid. There's a (kludgy) way to avoid the redraw:
Select the files you want to delete/move/whatever, minimize the directory
window, select the directory icon, choose your command.
>petition MS to sort out File Manager before version 3.1. Can I add the following
>requests:
>
>1. Do not delete directory windows just because there are no files in the
>directory.
>
>2. Can we have multiple directory tree windows (one for C:, one for D:, one for
>A: etc).
>
>3. How about a "Printer Setup" option. (This would be a lot easier than starting
>up Control Panel).

Yeah. Me too. Also I would like to be able to change filenames the Mac way
(by just clicking and typing).

--
(Mr) Ola Sigurdson      Internet: d89os@efd.lth.se

urbanf@tuura.UUCP (Urban Fredriksson) (02/28/91)

rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) writes:

>uchuck@pelham.med.unc.edu (Charles Bennett) writes:

Re: Features in an improved FileManager

   Yes please.

>>>  4. Ability to print out partial/full directory trees, not just contents of
>>>     individual directories.
    Would be nice.

>>   5. Ability to rename directories a la DOS 4.0 Shell and X-Tree.
    What's wrong with the way you do it now?

>    6. A "DOS Command line" at the bottom of the window where I can
>       type most any valid DOS command start an application.  If the
>       command generates output open a window to take care of it.
    Oh, how I have wished for this!

>    8. Option for an "expert" mode where it doesn't ask you 2-3 times
>       for confirmation if I want to delete or move a file.  If I
>       select 5 files and press the Delete button, trash the suckers!
>       I can deal with the consequences later.  (i.e., don't assume
>       I am a fool)
    It's not too bad having to press 'Del' and 'Enter' when you
    remove files. I'm am asked for confirmation only when I move
    a file to a place where a file exists with that name, which
    suits me fine. I suppose I'd have to re-configure that 'expert'
    mode anyway to suit me.

| Urban Fredriksson |"The enemy of your enemy is not | I do NOT speak   |
| Stockholm, Sweden | neccesarily your friend."      | for my employer! |