[comp.windows.ms] Recommended amount of memory ?

) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb23.205129.24261@csn.org>, haverlan@tramp.colorado.edu (HAVERLAND MARC BRADLEY) writes:
> Hello net,
>
> For a 386sx machine, what amount of memory is recommended?  The machine
> will be used mostly for Word for Windows, and desktop publishing work.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marc Haverland		haverlan@tramp.colorado.edu	303-650-1100
I own a standard 386 w/ 4 megs.  For word processing, I consider it to be
more than ample.
| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |

haverlan@tramp.colorado.edu (HAVERLAND MARC BRADLEY) (02/24/91)

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb23.205129.24261@csn.org> haverlan@tramp.colorado.edu (HAVERLAND MARC BRADLEY) writes:
<
<For a 386sx machine, what amount of memory is recommended?  The machine
<will be used mostly for Word for Windows, and desktop publishing work.

Well, a general answer for a general question.
This is, of course, very highly subjective..

I have 6MB in my 386sx for running windows with medium duty applications.
You *can* run windows with only 1 meg of ram.
You *can* run it in enhanced mode with only 2 meg of ram.

But you will greatly appreciate the increased speed of a disk cache
(one of SMARTDRV (ugh), SUPERPCK, or HYPERDSK) and less application swapping.

Go for at least 4 meg of RAM.  I have 6 Meg.  I want 8 Meg.
--
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |