[comp.windows.ms] Color Cursors, how?

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (02/27/91)

Is it possible to get a cursor which is in color?  I'd like something
a little more interesting than a black/white arrow.  I have SDK Paint,
but I can't seem to get it to recognize more than two colors (i.e.
forground and background).

----------------------------------------------------------- The Time Traveler
Sadder still to watch it die                                a.k.a. Timur Tabi
Then never to have known it                      Internet: timur@seas.gwu.edu
For you - the blind who once could see -         Bitnet:         HE891C@GWUVM
The bell tolls for thee                  -- Rush

wolf@netcom.COM (Phil Escobar) (02/27/91)

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) writes:

>Is it possible to get a cursor which is in color?  I'd like something
>a little more interesting than a black/white arrow.  I have SDK Paint,
>but I can't seem to get it to recognize more than two colors (i.e.
>forground and background).

The only way I can see to do this is to replace the pointer device driver
inside windows (the part of the code that actually manages the cursor).
The standard driver only handles two bitplanes for the cursor, giving four
colors:  transparent, inverse transparent, color 1 (black), and color 2
(white).  Anyone want to write the magic code? (sorry, I'm allergic to
Windows internal code)

 - Phil @ Buckskin Technologies

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (02/28/91)

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) writes:

>Is it possible to get a cursor which is in color?  I'd like something
>a little more interesting than a black/white arrow.  I have SDK Paint,
>but I can't seem to get it to recognize more than two colors (i.e.
>forground and background).

There's a lovely little utility called, I think, chngcrs (Change Cursor)
that lets you change the default cursors, control the colors somewhat,
and have some fun.  I got it out of comp.binaries.ibm.pc, so it's
probably at cica or somewhere FTPable.
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :                         itkin@Transact.COM                                 :

curt@cctb.wa.com (Curt Johnson) (02/28/91)

In article <2790@sparko.gwu.edu> timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) writes:
| Is it possible to get a cursor which is in color?  I'd like something
| a little more interesting than a black/white arrow.  I have SDK Paint,
| but I can't seem to get it to recognize more than two colors (i.e.
| forground and background).

The current version of Windows does not support color cursors.  I have heard
rumors that future versions will support color cursors.  Keep your fingers
crossed.

Curt Johnson == curt@cctb.wa.com

joshua@tc.fluke.COM (John B. "JB" LaRue) (03/01/91)

I use the program ChngCrsr from simtel (or was it garbo?) that allows
the person to add/change the cursor to whatever they want. It will do
color do a degree, but I like it for the capability of changing the
cursor to (and arrow).

     *******
joshua@tc-fluke.COM
John LaRue
John Fluke Mfg. Co
PO Box C9090 (m/s 116a)
Everett WA 98206
(206) 356-5753

--
    John LaRue            John Fluke Mfg. Co, Inc.             (206) 356-5753
    joshua@tc.fluke.COM   {uw-beaver,microsoft,sun}!fluke!joshua