[comp.windows.ms] Adlib/SoundBlaster drivers...

v119l94u@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Dennis G Crawford) (02/27/91)

In article <149034@tiger.oxy.edu>, rafetmad@oxy.edu (David Ronald Giller) writes...

>But they're already there!  The file is FMSOUND.ZIP in the UTIL directory
>(I think).  Anyway, it's there.  And if anyone can't get cica access, I can
>e-mail it to them.

	I've heard much about this.. but, what I'm really wondering is WHAT
these "drivers" exactly *DO*!  Can someone elucidate me?  =-)

)_Dennis_(
----
... D-Man! -=- "What's a Solvay?" -=- Dennis G. Crawford -=- SUNY Buffalo  .
..  V119L94U@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU -=- CRAWFORD@AUTARCH.ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU   ..
.   UUNET!UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU!V119L94U@UUNET.UU.NET -=- DGCRAWF@UMASS  ...
    "How did we get here!?        Where are we going!?" -- J. Satriani  ....

brent@well.sf.ca.us (Brent Southard) (03/01/91)

In article <62114@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v119l94u@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>In article <149034@tiger.oxy.edu>, rafetmad@oxy.edu (David Ronald Giller) writes...
>
> (concerning FMSOUND.ZIP)
>
>	I've heard much about this.. but, what I'm really wondering is WHAT
>these "drivers" exactly *DO*!  Can someone elucidate me?  =-)

One thing the application programs DON'T do is work -- on a debugging
Windows setup.  As a Windows developer I am shocked at the number of
programs (mostly, but not all free/shareware) which crash Windows with the
debug kernel installed.  When will people figure out there is a good reason
this is part of the SDK.  What really scares me is the thought of all the
new Borland C++ produced apps which will be coming our way;  as far as I
know, Microsoft has not licensed the debugging version of Windows to
Borland.  Not that I don't plan to use my C++ (any day now) -- just that
I'll be using the debug kernel to catch the silly mistakes.

By the way, is the Adlib programming interface public knowledge?  I'd like
to write some stuff for the SoundBlaster, but they want $100 for their
developer's kit.

sorry for the flaming, but I know there are others out there...

-brent
--
brent southard  (313) 643-1971   |   usenet:  ...!well!brent
ImageTech Corp  (313) 353-7900   |   bix:     brent

"When frog licking is outlawed, only outlaws will lick frogs."