[comp.windows.ms] Com'on: Everyone Gets Random Wallpaper!

regoli@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (03/01/91)

][

OK.  So I thought it was just my imagination.  When I first started
with Windows3 back in June, random presentations of wallpaper was
occuring each time I launched the program.  I figured, well, it's some
quirky bug with Zenith's BIOS and Windows.  (Naaah. Never.  :) Delete
all my .BMPs and all is well.  (Who cares to give 1Mb per three pictures
anyway?)

Now, nine months later, I'm seeing postings regarding random display
of wallpaper (.BMP) files.  People are coming out of the wallpapered
closet!  A colleague with a BIG BLUE machine (model 70) is also
experiencing this, so now I =KNOW= there's a problem!  ;)

Come on, folks!  Let's admit Windows has a little problem here.  Don't
be shy...

--

michael regoli
regoli@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu

cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) (03/01/91)

In <1991Mar1.031115.9905@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> regoli@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:

>OK.  So I thought it was just my imagination.  When I first started
>with Windows3 back in June, random presentations of wallpaper was
>occuring each time I launched the program.  I figured, well, it's some
>quirky bug with Zenith's BIOS and Windows.  (Naaah. Never.  :) Delete
>all my .BMPs and all is well.  (Who cares to give 1Mb per three pictures
>anyway?)

>Now, nine months later, I'm seeing postings regarding random display
>of wallpaper (.BMP) files.  People are coming out of the wallpapered
>closet!  A colleague with a BIG BLUE machine (model 70) is also
>experiencing this, so now I =KNOW= there's a problem!  ;)

You're not using Screen Peace with the Enable Bitmap Changer box checked
are you?

Chuck

--
Charles H. Chapman  (GTRI/MATD)             (404) 528-7588
* Home of the 1990 National Champion Ga. Tech Yellow Jackets *

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (03/01/91)

regoli@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:

>OK.  So I thought it was just my imagination.  When I first started
>with Windows3 back in June, random presentations of wallpaper was
>occuring each time I launched the program.  I figured, well, it's some
>quirky bug with Zenith's BIOS and Windows.  (Naaah. Never.  :) Delete
>all my .BMPs and all is well.  (Who cares to give 1Mb per three pictures
>anyway?)

>Now, nine months later, I'm seeing postings regarding random display
>of wallpaper (.BMP) files.  People are coming out of the wallpapered
>closet!  A colleague with a BIG BLUE machine (model 70) is also
>experiencing this, so now I =KNOW= there's a problem!  ;)

There's a shareware program called 'PAPERBOY' (at cica, I think) which
does exactly what you describe.  Are you sure that you don't have a call
to it somewhere in your system?

On the ~1900 PC's we have here (and we have one of everything, I expect)
I haven't heard of anyone with this problem unless they've got PAPERBOY
or something similar.

Joe Morris

town@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Brian R. Town) (03/02/91)

I have never seen this happen.  I have a BMP of Yoda as my background and it
has been there for months.  I change the back ground every once in a while,
but it has NEVER changed by itself!  I have an HP VECTRA QS16 (16Mhz 386).
I'm not discounting that there are other problems with WINDOWS, but I haven't
seen that one.

Brian

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Mar1.031115.9905@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> regoli@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:
>][
>
>OK.  So I thought it was just my imagination.  When I first started
>with Windows3 back in June, random presentations of wallpaper was
>occuring each time I launched the program.  I figured, well, it's some
>quirky bug with Zenith's BIOS and Windows.  (Naaah. Never.  :) Delete
>all my .BMPs and all is well.  (Who cares to give 1Mb per three pictures
>anyway?)
>
>Now, nine months later, I'm seeing postings regarding random display
>of wallpaper (.BMP) files.  People are coming out of the wallpapered
>closet!  A colleague with a BIG BLUE machine (model 70) is also
>experiencing this, so now I =KNOW= there's a problem!  ;)
>
>Come on, folks!  Let's admit Windows has a little problem here.  Don't
>be shy...

Are you running ScreenPeace by any chance? An option of SP is to change your
wallpaper randomly (by modifying your win.ini). This feature can be disabled
in the options menu.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

steve@cad0.arch.unsw.oz.au (Stephen Peter) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Mar1.031115.9905@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> regoli@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:
>OK.  So I thought it was just my imagination.  When I first started
>with Windows3 back in June, random presentations of wallpaper was
>occuring each time I launched the program.  I figured, well, it's some
>quirky bug with Zenith's BIOS and Windows.  (Naaah. Never.  :) Delete
>all my .BMPs and all is well.  (Who cares to give 1Mb per three pictures
>anyway?)
>
>Now, nine months later, I'm seeing postings regarding random display
>of wallpaper (.BMP) files.  People are coming out of the wallpapered
>closet!  A colleague with a BIG BLUE machine (model 70) is also
>experiencing this, so now I =KNOW= there's a problem!  ;)
>
>Come on, folks!  Let's admit Windows has a little problem here.  Don't
>be shy...

Sorry, I used to get random wallpaper, but I was using a shareware program
paperboy(?) which randomly selects a bmp file for wallpaper :-)

Since I removed this program (from my win.ini), I get the wet-tshirt bmp file
every time ;-)

>michael regoli

Stephen.
--