[comp.windows.ms] Windows and COM3

barry@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Barry Lay) (02/13/91)

I have been following the discussion on the use of COM3 and COM4 with
applications in Windows.  Now, can the mouse be placed on COM3 so that a
modem can go on COM1?  I have set up my PC with a modem on COM1, the mouse
(Microsoft) on COM3, and COM2 missing (it is a bizarre serial card).  Some
applications work fine (Shanghai, for instance) with the mouse, and the modem
appears fine on COM1 now, but Windows will not recognise the mouse.  Neither
will my own programs which use the mouse (under DOS, not Windows).  I would
have thought that MOUSE.COM goes looking for the mouse on all of the COMx
ports, then installs itself as INT 33 so that Windows doesn't have to worry
about where the mouse really is.  Is it perhaps running into trouble with
the missing COM2?  If so, how do I fix this?

Barry

n117be@tamuts.tamu.edu (Eugenio Ulian) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb12.190322.22184@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> barry@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Barry Lay) writes:
>I have been following the discussion on the use of COM3 and COM4 with
>applications in Windows.  Now, can the mouse be placed on COM3 so that a
>modem can go on COM1?  I have set up my PC with a modem on COM1, the mouse
>(Microsoft) on COM3, and COM2 missing (it is a bizarre serial card).  Some
>applications work fine (Shanghai, for instance) with the mouse, and the modem
>appears fine on COM1 now, but Windows will not recognise the mouse.  Neither
>will my own programs which use the mouse (under DOS, not Windows).  I would
>have thought that MOUSE.COM goes looking for the mouse on all of the COMx
>ports, then installs itself as INT 33 so that Windows doesn't have to worry
>about where the mouse really is.  Is it perhaps running into trouble with
>the missing COM2?  If so, how do I fix this?
>
>Barry
I was having problems with my com3, my internal modem, and Terminal until
yesterday. I called Microsoft and they faxed me a few problem solving sheets
for the message that reads: "The port is being used by a DOS application" or
something like that.
I went through their instructions step by step and after 6 months I am finally
able to use Terminal.
I had called them before, and the answer I got at that time (6 months ago) was
that I wouldn't be able to use my com3 since my machine did not have micro
chaneling ? capability. I guess they are learning to fix their bugs.

Eugenio Ulian
ecu7967@tamvenus

lev@suned2.nswses.Navy.MIL (Lloyd E Vancil) (02/14/91)

In article <12126@helios.TAMU.EDU> n117be@tamuts.tamu.edu (Eugenio Ulian) writes:
>I was having problems with my com3, my internal modem, and Terminal until
>yesterday. I called Microsoft and they faxed me a few problem solving sheets
>for the message that reads: "The port is being used by a DOS application" or
>something like that.
>I went through their instructions step by step and after 6 months I am finally
>able to use Terminal.
>I had called them before, and the answer I got at that time (6 months ago) was
>that I wouldn't be able to use my com3 since my machine did not have micro
>chaneling ? capability. I guess they are learning to fix their bugs.
>
>Eugenio Ulian
>ecu7967@tamvenus

OK Dude,
                 W H A T 'S   T H E
                            !@!@#$%^&*(!@#$%^#$$%$%^ ANSWER?

             Sheeeeeeesh!
L.

--
      *      suned1!lev@elroy.JPL.Nasa.Gov sun!suntzu!suned1!lev
          .                lev@suned1.nswses.navy.mil        +      .

n117be@tamuts.tamu.edu (Eugenio Ulian) (02/15/91)

It is funny, in my first posting ever to USENET, I have to put up with
garbage.
I did not include the answer from Microsoft because it is quite long.
If anybody wants a copy and can not ask Microsoft, send me a self-addressed
envelope, posted, to
Eugenio Ulian
202 Peterson Bldg.
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843
I will be happy to send a copy.
By the way, That doesn't include you,
                                      DUDE!!!

Eugenio Ulian
ecu7967@tamvenus
E viva o CARNAVAL...

schwalbe@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Jim Schwalbe) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb12.190322.22184@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> barry@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Barry Lay) writes:
>I have been following the discussion on the use of COM3 and COM4 with
>applications in Windows.  Now, can the mouse be placed on COM3 so that a
>modem can go on COM1?  I have set up my PC with a modem on COM1, the mouse
>(Microsoft) on COM3, and COM2 missing (it is a bizarre serial card).  Some
>applications work fine (Shanghai, for instance) with the mouse, and the modem
>appears fine on COM1 now, but Windows will not recognise the mouse.  Neither
>will my own programs which use the mouse (under DOS, not Windows).  I would
>have thought that MOUSE.COM goes looking for the mouse on all of the COMx
>ports, then installs itself as INT 33 so that Windows doesn't have to worry
>about where the mouse really is.  Is it perhaps running into trouble with
>the missing COM2?  If so, how do I fix this?

This is all explained very clearly in the *.txt files that come with Windows
3.0.  The mouse must be on COM1 or COM2.  The modem can be at COM3, there's a
bunch of parameters that have to be setup in either system.ini or win.ini, I
can't remember which.  I have my mouse on COM1, LapLink on COM2, and Modem on
COM3 and have had no problems with this setup, in or out of Windows 3.0.

.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
: Jim Schwalbe               .----------------. "Half of what I say is      :
: Hardware Research Group .--+-------------.  |  meaningless; but I say it  :
: Encore Computer Corp.   |  | E N C O R E |  |  so that the other half may :
: Mail:                   |  `-------------+--'  reach you."                :
:  schwalbe@encore.com    `----------------'             - Kahil Gibran     :
`---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

ahamalainen@abo.fi (02/16/91)

 writes:

> I was having problems with my com3, my internal modem, and Terminal until
> yesterday. I called Microsoft and they faxed me a few problem solving sheets
> for the message that reads: "The port is being used by a DOS application" or
> something like that.
> I went through their instructions step by step and after 6 months I am finally
> able to use Terminal.
> I had called them before, and the answer I got at that time (6 months ago) was
> that I wouldn't be able to use my com3 since my machine did not have micro
> chaneling ? capability. I guess they are learning to fix their bugs.
>
> Eugenio Ulian
> ecu7967@tamvenus

I also encountered 'whole-loota-troubles' trying to make my internal modem work.
Finally after re-re-re-- reading the sysini*.txt files for the umpteenth time
I found out what really was wrong. Windows expects the base-memory addresses
to be quite different from the real ones e.g. I had..

To show the details:
the default value (base-address) for com3 is 2e8 (hex) - in my system (opti
motherboard) the value should read 3e8.. somewhat of a difference, ay?
Also the responding Irq-values caused me serious head-aches.. there is a
setting in system.ini to change the value  (but in small print - and in the
_real_advanced_users_section_ (?)).. You can use the same irq in com3/4 as well
as in com1/2 - but be carefull...

the commands to use in your sys.ini [386enh section]
Com3Base=<address>      def 2e8
Com3Irq=<irq>           def 4
Com3AutoAssign=<num>    def 2 (strange, this one seemed to work!)

Well, hope these _MINOR_ worries could be warned about in the next manual...
	-- Antti
--
    /! /!         __
   / !/ !  ___  /   ) __           Antti 'McCoy' H{m{l{inen

mr@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (02/16/91)

In <14068@encore.Encore.COM> schwalbe@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Jim
Schwalbe) writes:

> ... I have my mouse on COM1, LapLink on COM2, and Modem on
> COM3 and have had no problems with this setup, in or out of
> Windows 3.0.

I have the same setup generally (mouse on com2: printer on com1: and
modem on com3:), but I can't print to com1: if my modem is on-line
through WinQVT.  (I have an AT-class machine.)

Am I alone in this?  It's frustrating if I want to print something as
I've got to log out, shut down WinQVT and then send my print job (via
the spooler)  What I find is easier is to print to a PostScript file
then use a DOS session to copy the file to com1:

michael regoli
mr@ogre.cica.indiana.edu
regoli@iubacs.BITNET
..rutgers!iuvax!ogre!mr

mjw@okcusr.UUCP (02/18/91)

> /* Written  1:03 pm  Feb 12, 1991 by barry@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca in okcusr.UUCP:comp.win.ms */
> /* ---------- "Windows and COM3" ---------- */
> I have been following the discussion on the use of COM3 and COM4 with
> applications in Windows.  Now, can the mouse be placed on COM3 so that a
> modem can go on COM1?  I have set up my PC with a modem on COM1, the mouse
> (Microsoft) on COM3, and COM2 missing (it is a bizarre serial card).  Some
> applications work fine (Shanghai, for instance) with the mouse, and the modem
> appears fine on COM1 now, but Windows will not recognise the mouse.  Neither
> will my own programs which use the mouse (under DOS, not Windows).  I would
> have thought that MOUSE.COM goes looking for the mouse on all of the COMx
> ports, then installs itself as INT 33 so that Windows doesn't have to worry
> about where the mouse really is.  Is it perhaps running into trouble with
> the missing COM2?  If so, how do I fix this?

Barry, I snarfed the following information some time ago about using
other comports with windows. I haven't tried it, so hope this helps!
----------  snarfed news letter
/* Written  3:32 pm  Sep 29, 1990 by mikel@pyrps5.pyramid.com in okcusr.UUCP:comp.win.ms */
In article <26762@mimsy.umd.edu> callahan@mimsy.umd.edu (Jack Callahan) writes:
>I have an internal modem (Patriot 2400) configured as COM3:
>but I am having trouble using it in Windows 3.0 in 386 enhanced
>mode.  I works fine in standard mode as COM3:.  Is there a
>line in SYSTEM.INI or TERMINAL.INI or WIN.INI that I have to
>include to get COM3 to work?  Thanks much for any answers!

Yep.  Microsoft had to guess where COM3 and COM4 are since there is
no standard.  They made a lousy guess.  But they provide a way for
you to correct their mistake.

In SYSTEM.INI in the [386Enh] section, add

	Com3Base=03E8h

(or whatever address your modem uses, see its documentation).
For more information see the SYSINIn.TXT files.

-----------
Mike Lipsie                               mikel@pyramid.com
Pyramid Technology Corp, Mountain View, CA  +1 415 335 8657
"Toto kansasoseum non est cognito" -- Phil Frank
/* End of text from okcusr.UUCP:comp.win.ms */
----------------- end snarfed news letter

       "If you can't get ahead, then you're bringing up the rear"
                       ______    ___           ___
        /|   /|       (    //   (_ |    /|    //    Mike Wood - NAOC307670
       //|  //|        \__//_//    |   //|   //     AT&T Switching Systems
   _  // | // |  _   ____//__      |  // |  //       Oklahoma City Works
  ( |//  |//  | /   (   //         | //  | //       Human Resources  IM&M
   \//   //   |/ o   \_// o        |//   |// o    att!mwood!mjw   attmail!mjw
						      att!mwood!okcusr!mjw
      MEMBER $USR/OKC, Charter of $USR/Tulsa, UniForum aka /usr/group

/* End of text from okcusr.UUCP:comp.win.ms */

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb15.214102.157@cica.indiana.edu> mr@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:
   I have the same setup generally (mouse on com2: printer on com1: and
   modem on com3:), but I can't print to com1: if my modem is on-line
   through WinQVT.  (I have an AT-class machine.)

Could this be an IRQ conflict ?  Both COM1 and COM3 use IRQ4 !

About using the mouse on other than COM1 or COM2, something I wrote...

Patching Windows3 for serial MicroSoft Mouse in other than COM1 or COM2

I recently was faced with the problem of needing the use of both COM1 and
COM2 under Windows3, thus being unable to plug my MicroSoft Mouse compatible
serial trackball into either of these ports.  Unfortunately, the driver
supplied with Windows3 supports only these ports.  I asked around on the
net, but no-one seemed to know; thus, I decided to figure out a way to patch
Windows3 to make it possible to use a non-standard address of COM port.
Here are my results, hopefully someone else will find them useful.

First, you need Windows3 installed normally, with the MicroSoft serial Mouse
driver MOUSE.DRV residing in the SYSTEM subdirectory under wherever you
installed Windows3.   Make a backup copy of it and load it into debug or your
favorite debugger/binary patcher.  At the file offset 82Ch you will find the
following table (the offsets shown here differ by 100h, since debug loads all
files with a 256-byte PSP):

-d92c,935
25A9:0920                                      F8 02 0B F7
25A9:0930  F8 03 0C EF 00 00

The structure of this table is as follows: each of the two entrys in it is
four bytes, with the 8250 serial chip port address as the first word (bytes
reversed, naturally) and the interrupt vector number and 8259A interrupt
controller mask following that.  The last zero word is a table terminator
(thus, there are probably plans for expanding this table in the future).
So, this standard table encodes the following ports for mouse usage:
	Port	Addr	Intvect	(IRQ)	Mask
	COM2	02F8h	0Bh	3	F7h=11110111b
	COM1	03F8h	0Ch	4	EFh=11101111b

The IRQ line number can be calculated simply from the interrupt vector number
by substracting 8 (remember, the first hardware interrupt is timer0 on IRQ0,
which produces interrupt 8).  The 8259A interrupt controller mask could
actually also be simply calculated from the IRQ by shifting one left IRQ#
bits and doing a logical not to the result; seems that a programmer at
MicroSoft felt that it's easier to do it this way.

Now, to patch your own values into this table, you need to know the same
things about the COM port which you intend to use as your mouse port: the
8250 chip address and the interrupt it generates.

For your convinience, here are two common methods of arranging COM3 and COM4:
	COM3	03E8h	0Ch	4	EFh=11101111b
	COM4	02E8h	0Bh	3	F7h=11110111b
Also, COM3/COM4 sometimes (I believe on the PS/2, but why would you have a
MicroSoft serial mouse there anyway ?) share IRQ5, which has a interrupt
vector of 0Dh and mask of  DFh=11011111b.  Also IRQ2 is sometimes used
(vector 0Ah, mask FBh=11111011b); on the PC/AT IRQ2 actually generates a
IRQ9 on the bus, but you needn't worry about that since DOS will take care
of generating an interrupt 0Ah and acknowledging the actully generated IRQ
for you automagically.

As an example, let's say you have a weirdo COM card (like the one I have)
which has the 8250 hidden away at 0238h and  which generates IRQ5.  Then
you'd patch the table to read (I decided to sacrifice COM2 capability, you
could also patch over the second, COM1 entry):
-d92c,935
25A9:0920                                      38 02 0D DF
25A9:0930  F8 03 0C EF 00 00

If you patch it incorrectly, one of three things may happen: the mouse cursor
is dead on entry to Windows3 (probably wrong IRQ/mask, use ALT/F4 to get out
of Windows), the mouse can't be seen at all (probably wrong 8250 address, quit
again with ALT/F4) or Windows3 will quit immediately upon entry (you probably
screwed up something else).  Restoring your backup copy of MOUSE.DRV (you did
make it, now didn't you ?) will of course restore functionality.

Also be sure you don't have anything else using the same IRQ before you
reconfigure your COM card to free up COM1 or COM2 -- the standard ISA
architecture can't share IRQ lines.

If you did not understand the above instructions, DON'T TRY IT !  Find someone
who does understand.  I of course can't take any responsibility for what
happens to your computer if you follow these instructions :-)

Happy Hacking!
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (USR HST/V.32, 24h/d)   */

regoli@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (03/01/91)

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) writes:
In article <1991Feb15.214102.157@cica.indiana.edu>
mr@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:
>   I have the same setup generally (mouse on com2: printer on com1: and
>   modem on com3:), but I can't print to com1: if my modem is on-line
>   through WinQVT.  (I have an AT-class machine.)

>Could this be an IRQ conflict ?  Both COM1 and COM3 use IRQ4 !

Could be.  Any suggested solutions?  Can interrupt requests be changed?

--

michael regoli

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (03/02/91)

*>>   I have the same setup generally (mouse on com2: printer on com1: and
*>>   modem on com3:), but I can't print to com1: if my modem is on-line
*>>   through WinQVT.  (I have an AT-class machine.)

*>>Could this be an IRQ conflict ?  Both COM1 and COM3 use IRQ4 !

*>Could be.  Any suggested solutions?  Can interrupt requests be changed?

In PC Magazine Feb. 26th 1991:

include the line:

SetIRQSharing=1

in your SYSTEM.INI.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar1.174342.19803@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
>*>>   I have the same setup generally (mouse on com2: printer on com1: and
>*>>   modem on com3:), but I can't print to com1: if my modem is on-line
>*>>   through WinQVT.  (I have an AT-class machine.)
>
>*>>Could this be an IRQ conflict ?  Both COM1 and COM3 use IRQ4 !
>
>*>Could be.  Any suggested solutions?  Can interrupt requests be changed?
>

>In PC Magazine Feb. 26th 1991:
>
>include the line:
>
>SetIRQSharing=1
>
>in your SYSTEM.INI.

Isn't that line

COMIRQSharing=1

?

Also, doesn't it need to go in the [386Enh] section of SYSTEM.INI, or does
the placement matter?

I saw both the above in PC Mag, but I don't have the actual mag in front of me
(just my notes). I may have copied the info down wrong.

--
Scott Coleman                                                    tmkk@uiuc.edu

"Unisys has demonstrated the power of two. That's their stock price today."
       - Scott McNealy on the history of mergers in the computer industry.

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (03/03/91)

*>Isn't that line

*>COMIRQSharing=1

*>Also, doesn't it need to go in the [386Enh] section of SYSTEM.INI, or does
*>the placement matter?

Yes and yes. Mea culpa.