[comp.windows.ms] Screenpeace drawing in BLACK !?!

nelson@bolyard.wpd.sgi.com (Nelson Bolyard) (03/02/91)

I've been using screenpeace on my 386 system at home for several months now.
A couple weeks ago, I noticed that screenpeace seemed to have stopped
working, it seemed to be just changing the screen to black but not drawing
any boxes/shapes in random colors like it used to.  Upon further
examination, it became clear that it IS drawing boxes of random size and
shape, but that MOST of the boxes/shapes are being drawn in BLACK!
Occasionally I will see a box being drawn in pink or yellow, but lots of
black boxes get drawn on top, and eventually the screen becomes all black.
I suppose I must have changed something, but I have no idea what!

Any ideas you can give me will be appreciated.

This only happens with the spx programs that draw random boxes/shapes, and
the one that draws kaledioscope-like line drawings.  Other spx's that draw
mazes, or bounce a ball, or drop snowflakes, or fly a dragon kite, all work
without any apparent problem.  I could just disable the offending ones, but
I suspect this is a tip-off that something's gone wrong, and I'd like to
correct the problem instead of merely masking it.

Thanks in advance for your replies/followups.

Oh, this is running on a 386DX with QEMM 5.11, in enhanced mode, using a
ET4000 clone board in 1024x768x256 mode.

Nelson Bolyard      nelson@sgi.COM      {decwrl,sun}!sgi!whizzer!nelson
Disclaimer: Views expressed herein do not represent the views of my employer.

daly@ecs.umass.edu (Bryon Daly, ECE dept, UMass, Amherst) (03/03/91)

In article <Mar.2.13.12.14.1991.4709@dorm.rutgers.edu>, silk@dorm.rutgers.edu (Silk Merchant) writes:
> nelson@bolyard.wpd.sgi.com (Nelson Bolyard) writes:
>>I've been using screenpeace on my 386 system at home for several months now.
>>A couple weeks ago, I noticed that screenpeace seemed to have stopped
>>working, it seemed to be just changing the screen to black but not drawing
>>any boxes/shapes in random colors like it used to.  Upon further
>>examination, it became clear that it IS drawing boxes of random size and
>>shape, but that MOST of the boxes/shapes are being drawn in BLACK!
>>Occasionally I will see a box being drawn in pink or yellow, but lots of
>>black boxes get drawn on top, and eventually the screen becomes all black.
>>I suppose I must have changed something, but I have no idea what!
>
>>Thanks in advance for your replies/followups.
>
> This sounds very familiar. My screen peace will no longet do the aquarium
> spx. The screen just goes black. I assume there are black fish swimming around,
> but of course I can't see them.
>
> I'm running on a 386-25 with svga. If you get any replies, tell me. Thanks.

Have you tried setting the 'Realize color table' option?  When I ran
SP without it, I got mostly black drawing on the screen, but after this option
was checked, it worked normally.  I believe this is only necessary in 256 color
mode.  My old 256 color board did not do this, I think.

Also, SP doesn't remember that you set this option, and so you need to reset it
every time you run it.

-Bryon
daly@omega.ecs.umass.edu

silk@dorm.rutgers.edu (Silk Merchant) (03/03/91)

nelson@bolyard.wpd.sgi.com (Nelson Bolyard) writes:
>I've been using screenpeace on my 386 system at home for several months now.
>A couple weeks ago, I noticed that screenpeace seemed to have stopped
>working, it seemed to be just changing the screen to black but not drawing
>any boxes/shapes in random colors like it used to.  Upon further
>examination, it became clear that it IS drawing boxes of random size and
>shape, but that MOST of the boxes/shapes are being drawn in BLACK!
>Occasionally I will see a box being drawn in pink or yellow, but lots of
>black boxes get drawn on top, and eventually the screen becomes all black.
>I suppose I must have changed something, but I have no idea what!

>Thanks in advance for your replies/followups.

This sounds very familiar. My screen peace will no longet do the aquarium
spx. The screen just goes black. I assume there are black fish swimming around,
but of course I can't see them.

I'm running on a 386-25 with svga. If you get any replies, tell me. Thanks.

DAT
silk@dorm.rutgers.edu

kentfo@polari.UUCP (Kent Forschmiedt) (03/04/91)

In article <12666.27cfd083@ecs.umass.edu> daly@ecs.umass.edu (Bryon Daly, ECE dept, UMass, Amherst) writes:
>Have you tried setting the 'Realize color table' option?
>Also, SP doesn't remember that you set this option, and so you need to reset it
>every time you run it.

Edit your win.ini file to set "realize colors" permanently:  find the
[Screen Peace] entry, and change "Realize Colors=n" to "Realize Colors=y".
--
Kent Forschmiedt ... kentfo@polari ... uw-beaver!sumax!polari!kentfo